Monday, August 6, 2012

Turkey Meatloaf with Feta and Sun-dried Tomatoes



I've been on an Italian kick recently, and as many of you know, Giada de Laurentiis is one of my favorite chefs. I have never made a recipe of hers that didn't turn out, and this was another GDL recipe that's been languishing in my "to try" stack.  It's another great weeknight recipe that will definitely be going into our rotation! For me and probably many of you, this is a great pantry meal (and I will explain why in the notes, below).

Hubby liked it too, so much so that he wants it to replace another turkey (meatball) recipe we usually make - he thinks this one is more flavorful.   I still like both recipes, because the other one is simply a different flavor profile to me (AND it's a great freezer meal that I can prep ahead and then bake the night of; I haven't tried freezing this mixture yet).  But I will definitely be making this again, and recommend it wholeheartedly! And I will update if I do freeze it and let you know how that goes.

Ingredients:

1/2 cup bread crumbs
1/3 cup chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
1/2 cup chopped garlic and herb-marinated (oil-packed) sun-dried tomatoes
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 eggs, at room temperature, lightly beaten
2 tablespoons milk
3/4 cup crumbled feta cheese
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1.3 pounds ground turkey breast (one package; could also use ground turkey)
Olive oil

Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Grease a loaf (or meatloaf) pan as desired (I use olive oil because I don't  like cooking spray). Beat the eggs in a large bowl and add the bread crumbs, parsley, sun-dried tomatoes, garlic, milk, salt, and pepper. Add the turkey and feta and gently stir to combine; do not overwork meat. 

Place mixture into prepared pan. I like the top of my meatloaf to remain a bit lumpy, as this results in nice browning on the top surface.  Drizzle top with olive oil and bake about 40-45 minutes, until golden brown on top and cooked through (note that melted cheese may puddle a bit on top, and this is fine). Remove from the oven and let rest for a few minutes. Serve and enjoy!

Notes: I served this with my favorite stovetop potatoes, which I think went great with the overall Italian theme of the main dish.  They cook in about the same amount of time.  You could also add a salad; I was too lazy this time to do so. I love this as a pantry meal, because I usually have all these ingredients (except fresh turkey and fresh parsley) in the house. I keep feta crumbles in my freezer, and I keep sundried tomatoes on hand from Costco (the oil-packed ones keep forever in the fridge, and you can buy them already julienned/chopped, which is a huge time saver!)

The original recipe is here, and I found a lot of reviews suggesting tweaks that sound yummy, but which I haven't yet tried.  Many used oats in place of crumbs (something I usually do) and I'll probably try that next time; some also topped with mozzarella or provolone cheese (which sounds heavenly) and which I will probably also try.  Lastly, I used a true "meatloaf" pan - one with the tray that lets fat drip below as the meat cooks; this is always handy and I recommend it if you make meatloaf often, but it is by no means required.

I hope you enjoy!

1 comment:

Michelle said...

Oooo I like this twist on ok why did I read that as lasagne 18 times and only just now figure out "meatloaf" - regardless I love the flavor ideas in it. I may have to try a dairy free variation of this for our house. yum!

Hope you're back to posting soon!

Related Posts with Thumbnails