Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Super Fast Skillet Kielbasa with Rice

Ah....the flavors (if  not yet the weather!) of glorious FALL! This dish is Octoberfest on a plate!



This dish is based on a Taste of Home recipe I have been wanting to try for ages.  I finally pulled it out and made it last week, and it was a huge hit with EVERYONE in the house, including my toddler! (Life doesn't get better than that, y'all!)  I made enough modifications to the original recipe that I'm going to rewrite the recipe here as I prepared it.  I am trying to move away from prepared/processed/canned foods (especially canned "cream of..." soups, which I LOVE but am slowly finding great homemade alternatives for). That said, my energy for the day did not extend to making homemade cream soup LOL, but I tried to "healthy-it-up" everywhere else, and I'll give examples of/brands for how I did that. Best of all, this recipe is a ONE-DISH dinner and cooks in no time! And it is a total freezer/pantry meal at my house, too. Easy to keep all these ingredients on hand!

I hope your family loves this as much as we did! I think it is going to be a permanent fixture in our menu rotation!

Super Fast Skillet Kielbasa with Rice


1 can (10.75 oz) condensed cream of celery soup
3/4 cup water
1 Tbsp butter
3/4 pound smoked pork kielbasa (I used Applegate Farms Organic)
1 bag Success boil-in-bag whole grain brown rice
5 oz frozen peas (I used Cascadian Farms Organic)
1/2 a square package sliced baby portabello mushrooms (to taste, really)
3/4 cup (3 oz) shredded cheddar cheese, or more to taste (I used Cabot Seriously Sharp)
1 Tbsp olive oil
Pepper to taste (I didn't find it to need extra salt, but feel free!)

Slice sausage however you prefer; I like quarter-rounds so they are bite size pieces.  Chop mushrooms just a bit for similar-size pieces.  Heat a large cast-iron skillet (or similar large pan) and add a Tbsp or so of olive oil (or butter).  Briefly brown the sausage and mushrooms (this quick step adds an extra depth of flavor). Remove to a plate.  Add soup, water and butter to pan and whisk to combine; bring to a boil. Add rice, cover, reduce heat and simmer (stirring OFTEN to prevent sticking) about 18 minutes or until rice is almost tender.  Stir in sausage, mushrooms and peas.  Add pepper to taste. Cover and simmer for another 15 minutes or so until heated through and flavors are blended.  Sprinkle cheese over the top and let stand until cheese melts.

I served this with Wildtree Beer Bread, a new (and all-natural) product line my friend Angie graciously shared with me.  We LOVED it! The flavors went perfectly together. (Ah, if I'd only been able to add a Sam Adams Octoberfest beer to my meal, but for now, I'll have to settle for the bread LOL!)

This recipe is linked over at Tempt My Tummy Tuesday! Come join the fun!
Hope you enjoy!




No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails