Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Cheesy Enchilada Casserole

Recently, I happened across an AMAZING recipe website. I don't know where this has been all my life, but I'm so glad I found it! The site is Six Sisters' Stuff, and with six women sharing recipes and ideas, it moves fast but has awesome content!

I've found approximately six gazillionty-five recipes there that I want to try, but I'm trying to just keep a list and work things in as I am menu planning.  This week, we tried a recipe for Cheesy Enchilada Casserole that had me drooling (as a bonus, my husband ADORES Mexican food, and making this recipe would get me out of a weekend trip to our local Mexican restaurant, which has decent but ridiculously oversalted food and leaves me - and anything I was wearing or carrying - smelling like fajitas for the next three days!)



I also liked the recipe because, in keeping with my goal to get back to natural, unprocessed foods, it let me test-drive two other new recipes on my list - this one for homemade Zesty Italian Dressing, and the Wildtree Fiesta Salsa Mix that Angie recently gave me (and no, lest you start to wonder, I'm not getting kickbacks from Wildtree for all these product mentions - more's the pity!) Both the dressing and the salsa were awesome!  But on to the casserole...

I've tried other recipes on the theme of "layered Mexican casserole," including my friend Michelle's Tortilla Stacker and Rachael Ray's Mexican Lasagna. RRay's is pretty good and was my go-to (made with beef) before I found Michelle's. Michelle's recipe is better (and as a bonus, the filling can also be frozen and used for quick burritos or tacos on a weeknight). 

This one from Six Sisters is also great, but I think could be improved with a can of green chiles or jalapenos, or even chipotle peppers in adobo sauce.  You could also use pepper jack cheese instead of the Mexican variety (which I don't find to be very spicy).  For my taste, and hubby's, the recipe needs a little more kick, but I wanted to try this one as directed first, partly to see if (as advertised) my toddler would actually eat it (that jury is still out!).  So I will make again, but will try one or more of those additions.

Except for making my own salsa, taco seasoning and Italian dressing, using regular-fat-everything and using fresh corn (2 ears) instead of canned, I made this one as directed and can recommend it!

1 comment:

BerryMorins Bits & Tips said...

I love reading recipe reviews and suggestions.
I might want to give this one a try.
Thank you for stopping by my blog and leaving a comment.

Related Posts with Thumbnails