Wednesday, August 1, 2012

Awesome Ravioli Casserole



Oh, this little neglected blog of mine!

In some ways, I can't believe how long it's been since I was able to post here. But in other ways, I can believe it, and only too well... SO very much has happened in the last year and a half. Rather than one lengthy catch-up post, I will fill you in as I go along. But for now, I want to try to jump back in right where I am! So, I hope some of you will follow along with me, and I hope I can provide you with some yummy, taste-tested new recipes as we roll into a new school year and - my favorite season - fall!

Lately, I have taken on the project of attempting to organize my recipe mess collection. Reviewing that collection has reminded me of how very many recipes I have clipped, saved, bookmarked, etc. to try - so I'm finally trying some new ones! I find recipes all over the place, and this one came from a free Publix magazine about a year ago. We made it last week, and it was DELIGHTFUL. Even the leftovers were excellent, and we liked it so much that I think it may permanently replace lasagna in our dinner rotation. So much faster and EASIER than that dish, but with all the wonderful flavors (and a few even yummier ones) - it's a weeknight wonder (with planned-leftovers, if you wish) and it's earned a new place in my favorites. Best of all, it is flexible AND can be prepared the night before or early in the day. Yum yum!

As mentioned, I tore this out of a magazine, and I have not been able to locate it online to link for you, but I will post the recipe and some pics for you to enjoy. Hope you'll try it, and hope your family loves it as much as we did!


Ravioli Casserole Uses: 9x13 baking dish or casserole pan

Ingredients:

1 (20 oz) package refrigerated cheese, beef or chicken ravioli
1/2, to 3/4 of a (7 oz) jar oil-packed chopped sundried tomatoes, drained
2-3 cups chopped broccoli florets, to taste (frozen and uncooked is fine)
1.5 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese
1.5 cups shredded monterey jack cheese
8 eggs
2.5 cups milk

Grease pan (I used butter). Arrange ravioli in bottom of pan, and top evenly with tomatoes and broccoli. Combine cheeses and sprinkle these over broccoli. Whisk together milk and eggs (I added a little freshly ground pepper too) and pour over layers. Cover and chill for anywhere from 2-24 hours. Remove from fridge half an hour before baking. Bake uncovered at 350 for 40-45 minutes, or until top is golden and center is firm. Let stand about 10 minutes before cutting.

Notes: I used cheese ravioli this time because the recipe called for it, but I plan to use a chicken and spinach ravioli next time (one that we find at Costco) and I think it will be even more delicious. I'm a meat lover, so just felt like it needed some meat! But it was also great with the cheese ravioli. If you want it to mimic lasagna as closely as possible, try a beef ravioli and maybe some mozzarella cheese on top...it's a pretty flexible recipe!

2 comments:

Shelley said...

Glad you're back. Love to hear about your life. Of course, it's not gonna be too much longer before you're too busy to post again. This looks delicious and we will try it. Thanks for the advice.

Angela said...

Thanks Michelle! Hugs and love to you!

Related Posts with Thumbnails