Tuesday, December 28, 2010

Blueberry Pancakes!



So I think it's time for a new recipe post around here! And this one was requested by several friends who visited late last summer.

Angie, Jane and Shannon visited in August, and we made these pancakes (just without the blueberries). I promised them I would post the batter recipe that we uesd and I'm sorry it's taken me this long!

This is my favorite pancake recipe, and it's very versatile - you can add most any mixer you like. For this post, I threw in blueberries (hubby and I both love anything blueberry). It takes fewer than five minutes to mix these up, and any extra batter will keep (refrigerated and covered) for several days, so you can get a lot of mileage out of one batch! You can also store the mixed dry ingredients for this recipe in a ziploc bag in your pantry, making these even easier to mix up in the morning.

To make these plain, simply omit the blueberries :-) The yield depends entirely on how big you make each pancake, so I'll just say this makes 4-6 servings. Your mileage may vary!

Blueberry Pancakes
(Adapted from Mark Bittman's How to Cook Everything)

2 cups all purpose (not self rising!) flour
1 Tbsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1 Tbsp granulated sugar
1 or 2 eggs (I use two)
1.5 to 2 cups milk

Combine dry ingredients. Beat eggs into 1.5 cups milk, then gently stir this into the dry ingredients (don't overmix; a few lumps won't hurt anything). Pancakes are a bit like muffins in this respect - stir them gently and as briefly as possible, or you'll have hockey pucks instead of breakfast food!

You want the batter to be pourable, but not so runny that it expands a great deal when poured into the pan. If it seems too thick, add milk a bit at a time. If you are using blueberries, add them last.

Preheat a skillet or griddle to about medium. Ladle batter onto the hot skillet to make whatever size pancakes you wish; generally, they are ready to flip when bubbles pop on the surface and the edges look a bit dry. Keep an eye on the heat as you go through the next batches; sometimes the first batch into the skillet requires higher heat than later ones.

Serve with butter and warmed maple syrup!



Love, Dahrlin'



4 comments:

Shannon said...

Better late than never, right? ;)

Next time we do pancakes, I'm using this recipe!

Angie's Spot said...

Yummy! I've been using Aretha Frankenstein pancake mix which is fabulous and expensive. This will be the "go to" mix from now on because I know it's so good and cost effective!

Looking forward to seeing you soon!

xoxo

Jane's In The Jungle said...

2 posts in one week!!! You go girl!

I'm so glad you remembered.....Will has become quite the pancake maker around here but Aretha's price is breaking me!

CaraBee said...

Those look soooo good.

Happy new year!!

Related Posts with Thumbnails