Monday, November 30, 2009

Garlic Lime Chicken



This will be a quick post because we've got to keep working on the Christmas tree tonight. It didn't quite get finished this weekend, despite hubby's best efforts to keep me on track (don't blame him - it's hard to keep me on track most of the time!) Anyway, on to the recipe - and enjoy!

This is a recipe I posted about a year and a half ago. It's truly one of our favorites, and I was inspired to repost it this week because it's such a great weeknight recipe. And who can't use another tasty way to fix chicken?! Just make a simple spice rub, heat a skillet, juice a lime and you are all set!

I would add, I have learned to pound (flatten) the chicken slightly when I make this, as that really helps it cook more quickly and evenly. It's also a way to make sure that each bite has plenty of flavor, as there is more surface area to pick up the spice and flavor!

This makes a simple pan sauce which is so tasty. Make sure you keep the heat reasonable, so you don't burn the butter. But you want some brown bits in there for the wonderful flavor they give, so go with about medium heat.

Hope you love this as much as we do!

Garlic Lime Chicken
(Serves 2; modify proportions as needed)

1/2 tsp salt (I use less; see below)
1/2 tsp pepper
1/8 tsp cayenne
1/4 tsp paprika
1/2 tsp garlic powder (about the only time I use the stuff!)
1/2 tsp onion powder (ditto!)
1/2 tsp thyme
2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
(pound to flatten or make thin cutlets)
1 Tbsp butter
1 Tbsp olive oil
1/4 cup chicken broth or white wine (I usually mix both)
1-2 Tbsp lime juice, depending on your taste

Combine first 7 ingredients; make extra if you like. Coat both sides of chicken with dry rub.

Heat butter and olive oil in a large skillet over med-high heat. Cook chicken until golden brown, about 5 minutes per side (or about 2-3 for thinner cutlets). If needed keep flipping the chicken until it's cooked through, to prevent uneven browning. Remove chicken and keep warm. Add lime juice and deglaze pan. If sauce is too thick for your taste, add a little chicken broth. But lately I just go with the pan juices and the lime juice, as I think it's the perfect consistency. If you use broth, simmer sauce to thicken (I like it almost to a glaze consistency, but if you use broth the salt will concentrate as it reduces, so just keep tasting it as you go. I don't usually put as much salt as is called for in the dry rub, for this reason). Once you reach the desired consistency, turn chicken in the sauce to coat and serve!



For more recipe ideas, visit Tempt My Tummy Tuesday, Tasty Tuesday, and Tuesdays at the Table!

Love, Dahrlin'

9 comments:

Michelle said...

Oooo that sounds good. I always forget about doing a rub and just tossing it in a pan to cook. I'll have to remember this one. I bet I could even get the wee ones to eat it :)

Heather said...

This is definitely going on my meal plan for next week. Yum!

Thanks for sharing!

Live.Love.Eat said...

Sounds & looks awesome girl. I do love to flatten the breasts because I do not like those big thick ones that just dry out ya know.

I miss you too. I will definitely send you a catch up email this week.

heartnsoulcooking said...

YUMMY!!! YUM!!! I like the addition of lime.
I have become a follower of your blog. I love to share recipes and ideas, come by and visit my blog maybe you can do the same.
THANKS!!!
Geri

Knatolee said...

yummy yummy yummy yummy!! But don't tell my hens!

Cole said...

That looks soooo good! Yum!

Thanks for joining in the TATT fun. :-)

Debbie said...

This sounds full of flavors - I just know we will like it. The chicken and sausage jambalaya mixture isn't in the freezer itself. I have the chicken and the sausage in the freezer already. However, I don't know of any reason why it couldn't be frozen as a completed dish. I will be posting that recipe later this week. Come join me for Crock Pot Wednesday this week.

CaraBee said...

Sounds delicious! I love limey stuff, so this will definitely make it onto the menu soon!

Robin's Reports said...

Oh yummy. My favorite ingredients together. I also have one like this but you add the sweet hot peppers in with the other ingredients. Stuff under the skin of a whole chicken and bake. Also very yummy.

I got wise and went back to my menu planning again this week. It has helped me so much with staying organized and in budget.

Related Posts with Thumbnails