Saturday, October 17, 2009

This bears repeating...

Blueberry Multigrain Waffles



I've posted these delicious creatures once before, but I just made another batch, and I have to say, I really think they deserve an encore appearance! I usually make these in the cooler months, so last weekend I just made our first batch since last spring. They freeze beautifully (and I actually prefer them reheated, because you can get them a little more crispy). Ten minutes in a toaster oven, and you can have warm and yummy waffles any time - and these are actually good for you! See below for nutritional info.

I'll refer you back to the original post for the recipe. But before you go, I wanted to point out another feature of this recipe that I love - its flexibility. Normally, flexibility isn't a quality that is associated with bread recipes and baking, but this one truly is. If you've been reading this blog long, you know I have done a lot of couponing in the last six months or so. And I'm trying extra hard these days not to throw away or waste food, which we used to do a lot. It's just me and hubby, so sometimes it's hard to use up the last of things before they go bad (we do freeze a lot though). So last weekend, I was delighted to use up the following items that were languishing in my fridge - all in this recipe:

-End of a box of oats
-End of a can of baking powder
-Remainder of a carton of eggs
-Remainder of a carton of buttermilk
-Remainder of a tub of sour cream
-A whole 4-pack of greek yogurt that was about to expire
-The rest of a jar of maple syrup
-The rest of a carton of butter
-The last of my frozen walnuts
and
-The last of a package of blueberries

Now, I don't always have this many odds and ends in my pantry and fridge, but this time it just worked out that way. And it made me SO happy to see all those containers going to recycling! Nothing went to waste!

I point this out only so you won't worry if you would like to make this recipe, but look in your fridge and don't have, say, yogurt (use sour cream instead). Or milk (can use buttermilk or soymilk). This recipe has some flexibility, and it will still taste yummy!!

We make these about every 8 weeks, and enjoy them effortlessly on cold mornings in the other 7 weeks! Hope you enjoy as much as we have!



Nutrient info (according to Cuisinart, the recipe author):

1 waffle = 137 calories, 18g carbs, 6g protein, 5g fat (1g sat fat), 2g fiber.

This recipe is posted at Tempt My Tummy Tuesday! Check out Lisa and Lana's collection for more recipe inspiration!

Love, Dahrlin'

5 comments:

Michelle said...

They sound much better and healthier than the Eggos that Mister Man eats sometimes. Sadly, one piece of kitchen equipment I *don't* own is a waffle iron (possibly because I don't actually like waffles). They sound great though -- and I'm ALL about the flexibility with cooking!

Faith Imagined said...

My jaw hit the floor looking at the pictures!

t.t. millers said...

YUMMY!!!!!!!!

Angie's Spot said...

These waffles are so good! I need to add this to my "to do" list for this weekend.

Live.Love.Eat said...

I need you to help me not waste food. It's awful how much we throw away. You froze your walnuts?

The waffles look great girl!!!!!

Related Posts with Thumbnails