Friday, October 23, 2009

Foodie Friday! Creamy Bowtie Pasta



Here's a new recipe that I have been meaning to try for ages. I finally got around to it the other day, and MAN am I thrilled with this one. Super, super good, and even hubby raved!

This one jumped out at me when I read it in Taste of Home. Why? Aside from the obvious (who doesn't love cheese and pasta?), because when I was in college, before I began to really learn to cook, I literally lived on Lipton Noodles, Pasta Roni, and of course, the Blue Box (it's the cheesiest!!) I ate boxes and boxes and...I can still get a little smile on my face thinking about the Parmesan flavor from Lipton, which was sooooo yummy (they all were, actually). But let's face it - those mixes, however handy, are full of stuff that's just plain not.good.for.you. Partially hydrogenated whatever, powdered cheese (two words that just don't go together) and other stuff that, today, makes me go "ewww!" Not when I taste it, but when I read it. And have you ever seen what happens if you make Kraft Easy Mac and then let the dish sit for a while? The "cheese" hardens to the side of the dish like a sludge...and it doesn't come off easily! What's that mean for our bodies?

Now, I'm not saying there aren't days when I reach for Easy Mac. Seriously. I do! I still love the stuff. But I am seriously rethinking that after trying this recipe...

This recipe was simply a delight! I definitely recommend it ANYTIME as a side dish, main dish (add your favorite meat or seafood) and just plain comfort food snack!

Creamy Bow Tie Pasta

1 cup uncooked bow tie pasta
1-1/2 teaspoons butter
2-1/4 teaspoons olive oil
1-1/2 teaspoons all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon minced garlic
Dash salt
Dash dried basil
Dash crushed red pepper flakes
3 tablespoons milk
2 tablespoons chicken broth
1 tablespoon water
2 tablespoons shredded Parmesan cheese
1 tablespoon sour cream

Cook pasta to desired tenderness. While the pasta cooks, melt butter in a saucepan. Stir in olive oil, flour, garlic and herbs until blended. Next add the milk, broth and water and stir well. Bring to a boil, cook and stir for a couple minutes or until slightly thickened.

Remove from heat and stir in cheese and sour cream. Drain the pasta and toss warm pasta with sauce. Serve immediately (and don't be like me, immediately becoming so entranced that you eat your helping over the stove! LOL!)



Nutrition Facts: 3/4 cup equals 196 calories, 12 g fat (5 g saturated fat), 19 mg cholesterol, 252 mg sodium, 17 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 6 g protein.

Love, Dahrlin'

*PS - wondering about this slightly odd photo? Yeah. Thought so. Maybe you can't quite put your finger on what's odd about it? That would be the fact that about a tablespoon of it was all that was left...when I remembered to stop eating and take a picture!! LOL!

5 comments:

Michelle said...

Mmmmm. Need I say more? What about some fresh parsley in there? And really only one T of cheese? Are you sure that's right? Not one cup? Or three? ;)

Life, Love And Lola said...

Holy Yumminess!!!!

Angela said...

Michelle - Add extra cheese in any quantity you want! I do that too! :-)

Lola - definitely try it! It's worth it!

Angie's Spot said...

Oh my head. That pasta looks SO GOOD! I might have to try that with chicken tomorrow night. Thanks! xoxo

Brenda said...

That looks really yummy!

Related Posts with Thumbnails