Monday, October 26, 2009

The Easiest Recipe I Know

Parmesan Crusted Chicken Breasts



Seriously. This has two ingredients - TWO. Okay, not counting salt, pepper and olive oil. But I don't count those as ingredients, since most people have them in their pantry.

Ready?

(1) Chicken, and
(2) Shredded (not grated!) Parmesan Cheese.

When I saw this Rachael Ray recipe on her show, I thought, no way - it can't be that easy. A crispy, buttery crust, without eggs, bread crumbs, milk, or any of that hassle? This was one I knew I had to try!

This is really as simple as it sounds. You just coat the chicken with the cheese (press firmly to adhere as much cheese as you can). Preheat a nonstick skillet (don't try this without a nonstick surface) and pour in a couple tablespoons of olive oil. Make sure it is very hot - the oil should be almost smoking. Lay the chicken carefully in the pan.

Now, here's the ONLY trick to this recipe. You're going to be very tempted to move the chicken around and check on it. LEAVE it alone in the pan for at least several minutes. If you must check, lift carefully from one edge, just until you meet resistance. If it's still sticky and the cheese is gooey, leave it a little longer. It can be hard to understand what you're trying to achieve here if you haven't seen it made, so here's a picture of my pan after I flipped the chicken. When it's ready to flip, it won't be gooey or messy. So don't try to move it too soon!



I also recommend halving your chicken breasts horizontally, to make them cook faster. I did not do that this time, and remembered why I usually do. Mine took forever to cook, so I had to flip them several times while waiting for the chicken to finish cooking. But here's about what they will look like when done:



Hubby and I both love these - parmesan cheese has a buttery, delicious flavor when cooked. I serve them with marinara on the side (I keep this in the freezer for just such occasions!) and whatever veggies I feel like that day. Hope you love it as much as we do!



If you would like to refer to the original recipe, it's here - I have also made her roasted potatoes and peppers (mentioned in the recipe) and they are yummy too!

Love, Dahrlin'

4 comments:

Angie's Spot said...

Looks yummy and easy! My favorite combination.

Glad you're enjoying the PD cookbook! Can't wait to see what recipes you decide to whip up from it. There are so many to choose from!

Jane In The Jungle said...

This looks so good!!

Of course I read "halving the chicken horizontally" as HAVING the chicken horizontally....in the pan...couldn't quite figure it out so I had to read it 3 times, LOL!!

Suzann @ The Olive Cottage said...

Another amazing recipe that I am going to try. Thanks!

Live.Love.Eat said...

Dang girl, you have to tell me when you post :) These look awesome. And I DO understand what you're saying about leaving the chicken alone.

Related Posts with Thumbnails