Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Costco, I...

...sure do love you!

(sorry for the lack of photos in this post. I started prepping food right away when I got this stuff home, and decided later to blog about it!)

I went to Costco this past weekend to get some items for my freezer meal kits. It's the only place I can get, for example, 12 fresh chicken breasts at a time at prices that don't stop my heart (and for reasons having nothing to do with cholesterol!)

While there, I did manage to stick pretty well to my list, with only a couple minor detours into the champagne aisle. To be fair, I only paused briefly to pick up the gallon-sized bag of M&M's requested by hubby to survey items that I might need next week visit.

Although it never feels like it as I am paying the bill, this place really does save us $$ and is a big help with my freezer kit preparation. Some of their prices are truly awesome - for example, I got 5 lbs. of Cabot Pepper Jack Cheese (I like to grate my own for recipes) for $8 (sale price). For comparison, Publix's sale price on this cheese this week was $2/8 oz., which would have been $20 for the same 5 lbs. 3 lbs. of sour cream was only $3.79 (about the best price I find at Publix, with both sales and coupons, is 50 cents for 8 fluid oz., which is less than half a pound weight-wise). 3 lbs of almonds was $10.00 (this even beats Whole Foods' price).

Their produce is great, too if you can use the quantities (I usually buy mostly freezer meal items) - a bag of about 10 red peppers (usually close to $2.00 a piece at Publix) was $6.99. Gallon-size bag of sliced baby portobellos was 4.49. 5lbs. extra-lean ground beef: $14 (contrast $4.99/lb at Publix). I also find that their prices on condiment-type items are MUCH better - for example, I got a huge jar of sliced sundried tomatoes (equivalent to 4 of the size I usually get at Publix for $4 each) for $8.50. Three pounds of bananas were $1.32 (hubby is back to making smoothies and now I can't keep these in the house past about Wednesday each week!)

There were other deals too, but those were my favorites from yesterday. So all this to say, if you have a Costco near you and have been thinking of joining, I can recommend it wholeheartedly!

Happy Wednesday!

Love, Dahrlin'

6 comments:

camelia said...

Hello,


We bumped into your blog and we really liked it - great recipes YUM YUM.
We would like to add it to the Petitchef.com.

We would be delighted if you could add your blog to Petitchef so that our users can, as us,
enjoy your recipes.

Petitchef is a french based Cooking recipes Portal. Several hundred Blogs are already members
and benefit from their exposure on Petitchef.com.

To add your site to the Petitchef family you can use http://en.petitchef.com/?obj=front&action=site_ajout_form or just go to Petitchef.com and click on "Add your site"

Best regards,

Vincent
petitchef.com

Jane In The Jungle said...

Girl do know how to crunch the numbers or what!!! And I'm thinking this is the equiv to our Sam's?? My oldest is in Chatt Boys Choir and I run by during rehearsals when I can. I just don't know when to stop and then the bill stops my heart, LOL!!

Michelle said...

I'm with ya on the Costco love. But you knew that already. We've got some serious grocery store competition right now so ... peppers are ummmm $1.49/lb on the high end. Tomatoes are usually $0.79/lb. The only thing Costco beats at for produce anymore is the $1.32 for 3 pounds bananas. But oh Costco, how I love thee!

Angie's Spot said...

We're making a Sams run this week (although I whole-heartedly wish it were Costco instead) and I need to do a MUCH better job of getting a plan together to do some freezer meals. Although, first I must clean out the freezer. Sigh.

Live.Love.Eat said...

That is a great place & it was awesome to actually read your comparison prices. I used to be a Sam's Club member but then stopped because I just don't use enough stuff in bulk BUT it would still be so beneficial if I did make ahead meals like you did. I should at least join to fill my freezer up with meats and chicken.

Hot Tub Lizzy said...

I'll be glad when I have a house again with a big freezer so I can use costco for all it's worth!!!

Related Posts with Thumbnails