Monday, August 31, 2009

Summer Pappardelle with Tomatoes, Arugula and Parmesan (Tempt My Tummy Tuesday)



So I wish I could say that, in my absence from blogging these last few months weeks, I have been doing a lot of cooking. But the sad truth is I have not. We've been so crazy busy that we've been eating whatever and whenever we can find food in the freezer/pantry. So I have really been desperate to get back into the kitchen and make an actual meal!

This is a recipe I saw on the cover of Cooking Light five (yes, FIVE) years ago, and have wanted to try ever since. I have no excuse for why it's taken me this long, because I literally see that particular magazine issue all the time (it has several favorite recipes of ours). And every time I do, I look longingly at the cover and sigh. But finally, on to the recipe!

Its beautiful colors and summery flavors drew me in immediately, and I just love any pasta shape that can properly be called a ribbon! Pappardelle is so much fun! I cheated a little and boiled flat lasagna noodles (then cut with a pizza cutter) to make my pasta, but you can usually find good pappardelle in any supermarket (not mine, obviously, but that's a different story for another day!)

My picture does not quite do it justice, but you'll get the idea if you click over to the recipe. My only notes on this one are that I did not use bacon (just didn't have it), and I used my own homegrown tomatoes. You almost can't overdo the lemon juice, because you want it to have a lot of zing, and the salty parmesan will balance the acidity nicely.

Even if you think you don't like arugula, give it a try. It really has a nice but subtle flavor, and is integral to this dish (though you could substitute spinach if you just want to!)

Hope you enjoy and for more yummy recipes, check out Tempt My Tummy Tuesday hosted by Lisa and Lana!

Love, Dahrlin'

9 comments:

Samantha said...

This sounds and looks delicious !

Ave said...

This looks so good!

Kristen said...

yum! I wish I could cook!

Brenda said...

That looks wonderful! We are still enjoying salads this summer

Lisa@BlessedwithGrace said...

Hi Angela. So glad you were able to join us, today at TMTT. The recipe does look good. Thanks for providing the link to the recipe.

lana said...

this looks so good!

Angie's Spot said...

Ok, this is how silly I am. I saw parmesan in the title and assumed those long pasta noodles were sheets of parm. Why? Because I've never heard of Pappardelle. Yes, I'm sheltered.

Live.Love.Eat said...

Are you kidding me, I think your picture does it loads of justice! That looks beautiful Angela!!!!!

Knatolee said...

MMm, looks delicious, and I love arugula! I have it on pizza sometimes.

Related Posts with Thumbnails