Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Chicken Enchilada Pasta



It feels like forever since I have posted a recipe here, and I guess it has been! We've been busy and traveling a lot, which has been fun but I am desperate to get back into some sort of routine during the weeks, and I really miss cooking. But in the meantime, we are having some household electrical issues, which makes cooking fresh food and putting anything in our (larger, downstairs) freezer a dicey proposition. So for the next couple weeks, we are eating completely out of the freezer for dinners. We need to get it cleaned out until we can get the electrical issues fixed.

So this past week, I found a container in the freezer that took me a couple minutes to identify. I usually label everything, but this was something I was unsure about freezing to begin with, so I just tossed it in (thinking we would use it quickly). There was only a small bit of it, so I sort of threw it in the freezer just so I did not have to throw it away. But I forgot to label - don't you just love playing "identify this frozen blob?" :-)

I finally figured out that it was frozen chicken enchilada filling, from this recipe. I had a little extra filling last time I made these (and no room in the pan for another enchilada), so I just froze the filling. Then when I thawed it the other night, I could not find any tortillas. Hmmm...what to do? Wait, tortillas are bland and really only serve as a delivery vehicle for the filling. What else works well in that capacity? Bread sounded gross, but pasta sounded...perfect. And it was! Even hubby came downstairs (he ate while on a conference call) and said "what was that? It was awesome!" We both loved it, and I will definitely make extra filling next time to use this way again! I apologize for the lack of pictures in this post, but between fixing dinner, keeping the dog out of hubby's office and talking with the A/C repairman (who was at the house at 8:30 pm for the second time in two days), I forgot pics!

As a side note, the extra filling was a little short on grilled chicken (I guess it was the filling left in the bottom of the bowl). But I also had frozen grilled chicken breast (something I am discovering has 5,362 uses and now ALWAYS keep in the freezer!) so I tossed some of that in as I was reheating the filling. And it was GREAT!

So here you go! Two meals for the effort of making one. Several more meals, actually, if you make extra portions of either recipe, or both. Try the original recipe or this handy weeknight version and let me know how your family likes it!

For more great recipes, head over to Tempt My Tummy Tuesday, hosted by Lisa and Lana!

Love, Dahrlin'

8 comments:

Kristen said...

Just wanted to say hi and happy Tuesday!

The Desperate Cook said...

Pasta sounds good to me too, I will have to try that sometime...never thought of it.

Check out my blog for a Christmas in July Giveaway.

Live.Love.Eat said...

Hello girlfriend!!!!! Instead of writing you an email I thought I would head on over here to see if you had anything going on. This sounds delicious girl.

Glad to have you back, for now anyway.

Lisa@BlessedwithGrace said...

Sounds great! Glad you joined us for our anniversary celebration at TMTT.

Angie's Spot said...

Oh my, this sounds great! I've been meaning to try that recipe. I need to get on that!

Michelle said...

Electrical issues now, not just concerns on the a/c? That's not good! Here's hoping you get them fixed up soon... and remake this to show the pictures ;) Now I'm realizing I need to do my pictures better, too!

CaraBee said...

What a great idea! I love chicken enchiladas but it never occurred to me to freeze the extra filling. I'm definitely doing that next time.

Angela said...

Kristen - hey there! I am so looking forward to our swap!

Desperate - thanks for stopping by, and I loved your chicken recipe!

Steph! I miss you!! How come we are both so busy lately, LOL!?

Lisa - thank you for hosting TMTT, and happy blogoversary!

Angie - yes, definitely make this. Jake will love it and so will you! I think even the girls would like this one. You might want to leave the jalapenos out of theirs though.

Michelle - yep, sadly - our freezer is struggling along. Actually, the power grid seems to be the problem - we think the freezer is fine. But yes, I will definitely take pics of this next time!

Carabee - I was pleasantly surprised at how well the filling froze and reheated. I wasn't sure how that would go, but it worked perfectly! :-)

Related Posts with Thumbnails