Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Sangria Chicken

It's Tuesday, and you know what that means here - it's time for Tempt My Tummy Tuesday, graciously hosted by Lisa and Lana!

Sangria Chicken



I've been attempting to stick to my goal of trying at least one or two new recipes per week. I always have a pile of things we want to try, from various friends, family, bloggy friends, food shows, cookbooks, you name it. The pile always seems to grow and grow, while I never manage to try more than one or two every once in a while. So I'm working on that. My "system" for this is getting a little better, as I try to be more realistic about what we would actually try (read: what hubby would actually eat) and avoid grabbing recipes that are extremely close to things we already make. In those cases I now make a note in my own recipe to try the new variation next time. I've also started sorting recipes to try into monthly groups. That helps me cook seasonally and gives me a sense of some organization, LOL! That has been working out pretty well.

Meanwhile, here's a new one we tried last week. It was EXCELLENT and only has five ingredients! For the most part, I made it exactly as directed. I even baked it at the recommended temperature (450) even though I was skeptical of how such a high temp would turn out for roasting (I have tried another recipe that called for roasting chicken at that temperature, and encountered a lot of smoking from oil splatters in the oven). And that's where my only real caution on this recipe comes from - unless you want your house to reek of oven smoke for days, I suggest baking the chicken at no more than 400 degrees (and preferably more like 350) - it will increase cooking time, but you won't have smoke pouring out of the oven. The smoke is not dangerous (except respiratorily, LOL) but it is annoying. And avoidable. The other caveat concerns the time to reduce the glaze - I started it first and still needed to cook it the entire time the chicken was baking in order to reduce it to the proper consistency. Not a problem, just something to be aware of. You can still baste with it as you go, according to the recipe. It was yummy and totally worth the cooking time!

All in all this was a delightful recipe that I definitely recommend. Very springy-summery. I served it with lemon butter pasta (to echo the lemon in the dish) and a green salad, but you could add any sides you want. I think the sangria flavor is excellent and very close to the real thing (without any alcohol remaining). Hope you enjoy!

Click to view/print recipe!

Love, Dahrlin'

10 comments:

Crystal Jigsaw said...

That looks amazing. I wish I was more culinary but I'd rather leave it to the experts!

CJ xx

Samantha said...

This sounds and looks sooo good !!
I will try this soon, I have marked it in my favorites. Thanks for sharing, have a blessed day.
P.S. LOVE the name of your blog, hello dahrlin....so cute !

Lisa@BlessedwithGrace said...

That looks and sounds wonderful. Thanks! I appreciate her tips for cooking. Thanks for sharing the recipe and linking up to TMTT.

Pam said...

I am always looking for good chicken recipes for my daughter. It's the only meat she will eat.

Brenda said...

Looks delicious!

Jerri - Simply Sweet Home said...

Chicken is our favorite meats, and I love finding new recipes for it. This looks delicious!

Life with Kaishon said...

This sounds delicious for sure : ). I love your system with the new recipes! After having 3 nights of a row where my husband won't try the new food I am going to have to implement something like this. He is just so picky!

Angie's Spot said...

Jake has been dying for me to make the roasted chicken again. So yummy! This chicken looks really interesting.

Michelle said...

Ooooo, interesting. I can tell from looking that this would so need to be an adults only meal, but I just need to fin some time to enjoy adult company! :)

Live.Love.Eat said...

Oh cool. I remember you telling me about this one. Right up my alley!!!!!!!!

Related Posts with Thumbnails