Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Spring Greens (Wednesday's Weeknight Recipe Review)

So we made the orzo salad from Monday's menu. And it was EVERY bit as good as I remember it being when a friend brought it for us to try last summer. I mean, it's so good I am having trouble staying out of the refrigerator. And that's saying a lot, considering a bag of Ghirardelli chocolates is sitting right next to me. And they're not what I'm craving at all!

I have found that loading the pictures to go with this post has done nothing to satisfy my intense craving for more of this pasta salad. So I'm glad I took photos before dinner, because there is a distinct possibility that you may never read this post. I may instead spend the next forty five minutes devouring the remainder of the salad. And then collapse into bed in a pasta coma (well, okay, I could probably finish the salad it in a LOT less than 45 mintues... but I digress). So, on to the rest of the post, and quickly!

As I was saying, this stuff is seriously yummy. Really, REALLY good. And it's as pretty to look at as spring itself!

I love spring green, and this salad has plenty of green going on. While the pasta was cooking, I mixed up the veggie side of the salad - some baby spinach, green pepper, green onions, Kalamata olives, and capers:



Then I added the hot pasta, and tossed it until the spinach wilted a bit:



Lastly, I added the feta, toasted pine nuts and dressing, and served it alongside some Italian Herb Whitefish. And devoured every bite!



I highly recommend this one. It's officially my new favorite pasta salad, and I predict we will make it a lot this summer. The only difference I would suggest in terms of recipe preparation is the hot pasta step I mentioned - I prefer the texture of slightly-wilted spinach, so if you toss the hot pasta with a little oil first (don't rinse it first as the recipe instructs), then toss it into the greens, you just stir for a couple minutes and it will be perfect!

Hope you enjoy! And hope you have a great Thursday!

Love, Dahrlin'

8 comments:

Life with Kaishon said...

Oh, it looks SO good. I made a white bean and tuna salad last night. I had it on Sunday and it was SO yummy. Guess what? Mine turned out horrifically.....

Wacie's Way said...

this looks very yummy! Another one to try - thanks!

Robin's Reports said...

You're killin' me!! I'm trying to stay to a simple, easy menu planning and not get exotic on Jack & the kids. BUT, but, but!! This one, I've got to try. And I happen to have ALL the ingredients in the pantry already.

(check out my "simple" idea from today's fishermen blog.)

Angie's Spot said...

Hmm, I love spinach and orzo, so I might have to give this one a whirl. Of course, only Jake & I will enjoy it because my kids are officially the pickiest eaters in the world. Sigh. I have no idea where they get that from. Ahem.

Michelle said...

Oh. YUM. I am so keeping this one. I may not put in the green pepper (too ... bitey? for me), but the feta and capers and olives? I have it all in my house except the spinach right now. No wonder you're headed for the fridge!

Angela said...

Kaishon - Try it!! It was awesome. And I bet your bean and tuna salad was awesome too!

Wacie - you're welcome! Definitely run and try it. Super good!

Robin - it's worth it, I promise!! Even better if the boys don't like it. More left over for you!

Angie - I know there are some things in here you probably don't love (like the capers or olives) but give it a try. I bet you'll be surprised!

Michelle - you could totally skip the bell pepper and just do extra black pepper if you want.

Everyone let me know how you like it!

Live.Love.Eat said...

Angela, angela, angela, I am adding this to my list of things to try. I love orzo but for some reason I don't eat it enough. And I love just adding something to spinach and let it wilt. Printing it now!!!!!!!!

Kara said...

Thanks for visting my blog!

This looks sooo good, I love salads, especially when the weather is warm. Can't wait for spring!

Related Posts with Thumbnails