Sunday, March 29, 2009

Menu Plan Monday: Spring is Here!



I'm so excited to be back into menu planning in earnest - AND we're getting better about actually cooking most nights, which helps me with lunches and saving money on both lunch and dinner.

We're finally getting down to the last of the frozen things we had (meats, veggies etc.) which is nice, because a wider selection of both meats and fresh produce is very nice to see in our menus as we welcome spring!

I will say, we've definitely saved money (and time) with our "Frugal from the Freezer" and pantry plan. I don't have an exact savings comparison, because we had several factors that altered our budget landscape (joining Costco and spending a fortune there, but hopefully only every few months; learning the CVS game and starting to get everything - almost - free there, etc.). But I definitely think we have saved and, in the process, we've wasted a lot less food than we used to. Yay!!!

So, onto this week's menu plan. A few notes - last week our Publix had whole chickens on sale, so I got two and, borrowing from an idea in Gourmet, will make two at once and see how many ways we can use the leftovers. So far, I'm thinking my favorite chicken salad, chicken and mushroom calzones, chicken quesadillas or enchiladas, and of course the main entree (featured Saturday!) That will be a good number of meals to come from spending only $5 for two chickens! Let's see how we do! We're also trying some new things that have caught my eye recently. I LOVE trying new recipes, and the new ones we've enjoyed recently have made me smile! Lots of my friends have posted wonderful things we will also be trying in upcoming weeks, so look for those to come!

Saturday: Citrus Roasted Chicken, Panfried Smashed Potatoes (my new addiction), Broccoli

Sunday: Cajun Meatloaf, potatoes, green beans with celery salt

Monday: (workout night) Leftover meatloaf, baby carrots, wilted spinach

Tuesday: Roasted Cod with Artichokes and Tomatoes, Olive Cheese Bread

Wednesday: Ranch Style Chicken, corn, spinach

Thursday: (Workout night) Freezer Pleasers or Omelettes, garlic toast

Friday: (Workout night) Taco Braid (from Lora), Broccoli

That's the plan! For more Menu Plan Monday, head over to Orgjunkie!

Love, Dahrlin'

6 comments:

bafleyanne said...

That Citrus Roasted Chicken sounds so good, I may just have to make that this week!

Connordog said...

Try making the Lemon Chicken Soup too, even if you just freeze it, it works really well!

Angela said...

Barbara,

We made the chicken last night, and it was awesome!! I actually made two, because they were on sale here and it's not any more trouble than making one. So we have about a gallon freezer bag full of roast chicken now, for all kinds of yummy meals!

Steph, I have printed off the recipe and will definitely try it!

Your Frugal Friend, Niki said...

Sounds like a yummy week you've planned; especially the Taco Braid!

:)

Michelle said...

I SO need to try those smashed potatoes. They sound so yummy :)

What's a Freezer Pleaser?

Angie's Spot said...

I wish I had thought about roasting 2 chickens at once! Next time they go on sale for sure.

Related Posts with Thumbnails