Sunday, March 15, 2009

Forcing Spring - Strawberry Shortcake Parfaits

Happy Sunday!

We had some gorgeous weather here last weekened and early in the week. That high of 79 degrees has tapered back to a current high of 43 degrees (at noon) and we're in our second consecutive day of rain.

With the changing moods of spring, I love to combine foods that still take their cues from the cooler weather (like the meal I'm posting tomorrow) with foods that remind me spring is coming - and making an appearance at the grocery store.

Last weekend our store had fresh strawberries that were actually good - they weren't (too) undderipe and they were decidedly tasty. They were also on sale, so I couldn't resist. And one of my favorite things to make with strawberries is these little parfaits:



They are super easy - perfect for everything from an afternoon snack to a dinner party dessert. You can place them in any glass - here I used a wineglass for fun. If you do them in a tall, skinny glass you can make it look more "officially" like a trifle. When it's just us and/or close friends, we're more interested in digging in than making them fancy. But here you go - this recipe is easy to play with and could feature almost any fruit you like. If you want to enjoy it year round, freeze sliced fruit at its summer peak, then keep frozen homemade pound cake, ice cream and cool whip in your freezer. Super fast and easy!

Strawberry Shortcake Parfaits
(Adjust servings as needed - this is for 4)

1 pint strawberries, sliced
2 tsp brown sugar (more if you want)
Pound cake (cut into cubes)
Vanilla ice cream
Cool whip or real whipped cream

Stir together sugar and strawberries. Let sit a few minutes to form a glaze. In a glass, layer cake cubes, ice cream, berries and whipped cream/topping. Add any other toppings of your choice and serve immediately.

Happy Spring!

Love, Dahrlin'

4 comments:

Wacie's Way said...

YUM!! We are having the same weather as you and I am so over it!! Last weekend I was wearing flip flops and this weekend rainboots! I am going to try this recipe - it looks yummy.

Michelle said...

Only you would add ice cream to this ;) Ok maybe not only you, but it totally doesn't surprise me. I'm good with 90% berries, 1% cake and 4% Cool Whip or better yet REAL home-whipped whipped cream.

I love those glasses for the presentation!

Live.Love.Eat said...

I love this. Looks beautiful too!!!!!

Angie's Spot said...

OMG, I think I might pass out. I'm starving and it's late and I am now craving this dessert. Sigh.

Related Posts with Thumbnails