Monday, March 30, 2009

Cod with Spring Vegetables and Mint

Yep, it's official. For whatever reason, whether it was the extreme cold we had this winter (which I happen to love, but I'm glad it's headed out for a while), or the lack of green currently in our backyard (we've been working on that this last couple weeks - stay tuned!), I am addicted to serving as much green as I can bring to the table lately. And once again, Gourmet had just the ticket:

Roasted Cod with Spring Vegetables and Mint



I made this one last weekend, and it was truly a delight to prepare. I love the variety of veggies, and the mint definitely adds a nice touch.



I was reluctant to even cook it, as I could not stop staring at the greens. I love spring green, and I especially love green veggies. After a winter of few greens (except kale, etc.) this was like a breath of fresh air. I love cooking green vegetables, because (as long as you don't overcook them) they develop such a vibrant, deep green that just lights up the plate. I remember when I finally learned not to overcook broccoli, and what a huge difference it made in my love of that vegetable (and others). This recipe is a good example - you want the veggies tender, but not overdone. So don't set the heat too high, and stir often - check every now and then for doneness. They should look something like this when they're ready:


I served it with those potatoes I keep telling you about, to which I am also addicted. If you haven't tried those yet, run, don't walk!



We all enjoyed this, and the only note I really have is to say that if you prefer spicy foods, this one may not be for you. This recipe is all about nuances - the sweet flavors of the vegetables, fruity olive oil (use a good, extra-virgin one), the buttery flavor of the fish, the brightness of the mint. I added some extra black pepper for a little kick, but black pepper really enhances, rather than adds to, the flavors that are already present. So season as you see fit. Super yummy, and definitely a bite of spring!



Hope you enjoy!

For more wonderful meal ideas, check out Tempt my Tummy Tuesdays over at Blessed with Grace and Right Here Right Now!

Love, Dahrlin'

10 comments:

Samantha said...

The meal looks delicious, love all kinds of fish and this looks yummy !
Thanks so much for sharing .

Live.Love.Eat said...

Girl, this looks delicious. I love fish!!!! And the veggies, yummmmmm!!!!!!!

Robin's Reports said...

Yeah, that does look good to me. Wanna come by, cook for me and see my green grass?

KCShipe said...

Wow - this does look really good. I think I will save it for a "staying-in date night" cause it looks so pretty and gourmet :)

newlyweds said...

The veggies and cod look so good. Glad your family liked it, I bet it would be good also with a pinch of red pepper flakes.

Lisa@BlessedwithGrace said...

Looks good and SO healthy!! Thanks for sharing your recipe and linking up to Tempt My Tummy Tuesday.

Angie's Spot said...

I have finally resigned myself to the fact that I must start cooking MANY more veggies in this house. My girls are refusing to eat so much that I've got to try and fix this.

Michelle said...

You HAVE to keep reminding me about those smashed potatoes, don't you? :) OH! And guess who bought spinach today? And more garlic. And some lemon. I forgot the scallions and feta. Oops. Fortunately, I get to go back to the store soon, right?

Lori said...

Whoa! You have done some serious cooking here! :) It looks fanTAStic!

Angela said...

Thanks Ladies! I love fish and am on a total fish kick these days. Another fish dish is comin' up next week so stay tuned!

Related Posts with Thumbnails