Saturday, January 10, 2009

Salmon with Sauteed Swiss Chard

So, it's a new year and I'm getting back to trying to find balance in my diet. Yesterday, I was surfing the Whole Foods website (it's one of my favorite places in the world!) and looking for inspiration for dinner. I came across this article on Arctic Char, which is a relative of both salmon and trout (and tastes like a combo of those flavors). It looked and sounded delicious, and I require almost no incentive to take a trip to Whole Foods anytime, so off I went after work yesterday.

I love seasonal cooking and the idea of eating produce and meals based on season, so this recipe appealed to me. I need that rhythm in life and really enjoy the variety I get from it. I have also found that (particularly after the holiday excesses) fish is a great way to lighten up some of my otherwise "fall and winter" inspired recipes, which tend to be heavier. Dishes like brisket quesadillas, which I adore but which feature red meat, can get a nod from something like one of our favorites, salmon, spinach and gouda quesadillas.

So yesterday, I found a recipe for Arctic Char with Sauteed Swiss Chard. I got all the ingredients, but our WF also had these simply gorgeous salmon filets all ready to cook (the char was a larger piece that I will have to cut up into dinner portions later). By the time I got home it was after 7, so I took the opportunity to use the salmon instead. It was delightful and I wanted to share the recipe with you guys!

[Side note to Steph at Live.Love.Eat - I had an extra glass of Prosecco while I was cooking, in your honor! :-))

The recipe uses lovely winter greens - chard, in this case. If you've never tried it, do! It's great and a wonderful way to get extra nutrition in these darker, colder winter days. The salmon (or char, of course) is full of heart-healthy fats, lemon juice provides bright flavor and vitamin C, and I decided to serve it with whole wheat spaghetti. That's another product that, if you have not tried it, you may be pleasantly surprised (Mueller's makes a good one). It has a slightly different flavor than white flour pasta, but I love it. It's got character and texture (and it's good for you - what else can you ask for in pasta, LOL!?). But you could always serve it with any regular noodle you prefer, or rice.

One other note on ingredients here - the seasoning is Asian, but don't be afraid of any odd-sounding ingredients. Tamari is a variation of soy sauce - use regular soy sauce if you don't have tamari. And sesame oil is a yummy addition to many Asian dishes, and can be found in your regular supermarket.

So here's the recipe - hope you guys enjoy! (My one new year's resolution is to learn how to use my camera properly, so I can take better photographs in my kitchen for this blog, LOL!)



Salmon (or Arctic Char) with Swiss Chard
Adapted from Whole Foods Market Recipes
Serves two - but easy to double or triple!

1/2 bunch Swiss Chard
1/4 yellow onion
3 cloves garlic (or to taste)
2 salmon or char filets
Juice of 1 lemon
1 tsp tamari
1 tsp sesame oil
Olive oil, salt and pepper

If making pasta, go ahead and start water/pasta. Toss with butter, salt and pepper and keep warm while everything else is prepared.

Meanwhile, wash chard, remove leaves from stems and chop leaves to desired size. Thinly slice onion and garlic.

Rinse filets and pat dry, then drizzle with tamari, sesame oil and half the lemon juice.

Saute onion and garlic in olive oil until translucent, about 5 minutes. Add chard, toss and then cover and steam for about three minutes, until just wilted but still bright green. Uncover and remove from heat.

While the onions cook, begin the fish in a separate nonstick skillet - saute in a little olive oil and start fish skin-side down. Cook about 3-4 minutes (depending on thickness) and baste with pan drippings as it cooks. Flip fish and cook on the other side, continuing to baste, until done to your liking. Remove fish from heat and drizzle with remaining lemon juice and a little freshly ground pepper.

Serve fish over the greens, with spaghetti or rice alongside.

Excellent with a light white wine - pinot grigio, white burgundy or riesling!

Hope you enjoy!

Love, Dahrlin'

PS - edited to add: I love this blog carnival. Check out more yummy recipes at Tempt My Tummy Tuesday! (And yes, I know today is not, in fact, Tuesday, LOL!)

6 comments:

Lora said...

My family love salmon and this looks delicious!! Thanks for sharing. (we had fish last night, too:)

Lisa@BlessedwithGrace said...

Hi Angela. I am so glad you found me and our fun Tempt My Tummy Tuesday blog carnival. It is a really fun time, at TMTT. We are getting many new participants,each week. I hope you will join us, next Tuesday. Many of our participants are really good to go and visit everyone's blog. I LOVE the title of your blog, and the design is so cute.

Michelle said...

Mmmm! I need to make those salmon quesadillas soon. I hope I kept my notes about what I did differently from your original recipe :)

And this one sounds like a winner, too. I'll have to try it soon as Mister Man has been asking for salmon, and this is one that Little Miss can eat, too (using olive oil instead of butter of course)!

Angela said...

Lora - hope you guys enjoy! And yes, I'm on a fish kick this month. We had a ton of red meat over the fall and holiday months and now I'm feeling sort of ughhh.... LOL!

Lisa - thanks for the warm welcome! I look forward to more TMTT posts. I can't wait to see what others have posted!

Michelle - no worries - I don't think I've ever made the quesas exactly the same way twice! The recipe is very adaptable. And yes, the kids would probably enjoy this one too - it's got a nice "grilled" flavor to it, even though it isn't actually grilled. I think it's the sesame oil.

Live.Love.Eat said...

Girl, this looks incredible. And great picture!!!!! I have never cooked with Swiss Chard before but have heard good things. Thanks for the shout out. Prosecco, yum. Never had it, just heard about it from Giada I think :)

Angie's Spot said...

Ok, hold onto your hat...I've never tasted salmon. Yes, I can hear your gasp from here. I'm just so afraid that I won't like it. Call me crazy.

Related Posts with Thumbnails