Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Quick and Healthy - Arctic Char

Happy Tuesday! I found a new recipe carnival that I think will be really fun, and I look forward to participating. So if you are visiting here from TMTT (Tempt My Tummy Tuesday), welcome and enjoy your stay!

Some may recognize the fish I'm featuring today. I'm on a bit of a fish kick after all the turkey and heavier foods of the holidays. And yep, this is my second post about this particular fish. I just discovered it a week ago, but it's the first time I've actually cooked it, LOL! Last time I started out planning to cook it, but ended up preparing salmon that night (because it was ready to go). I'm excited to share that it's just as wonderful as Whole Foods made it sound. It's related to both salmon and trout. It tastes like a combination of both, but more closely resembles salmon in flavor and texture. I encourage you to give it a try!



Some of you also know I love to make foods that are healthy, freeze well (either before or after cooking) and are quick for workdays/weeknights. My husband traveled a couple of days this week, so it was just me and Pixie hanging around the house. That gives me the freedom to eat whatever and whenever I want for dinner, so I pulled out the char I bought last week. I thawed it (in a ziploc) in cool water for about 20 minutes (doesn't take long) and then decided to sautee it simply in olive oil, with some salt and pepper. I wanted to see how it tastes on its own, before doing anything to add additional flavor. It was awesome! This pic is of a little bit of an odd-shaped filet, but it was all good!

This makes a great weeknight meal, and it's extra-quick if you make a big batch of brown rice ahead of time, and freeze it in dinner portions. I happened to have some brown rice in the fridge, and some haricots vert (thin green beans) in the freezer. In half an hour (probably less), I was able to pull together Arctic Char with Lemon Butter, Brown Rice, and Garlicky Green Beans. Yummy - and very healthy!

So my one-and-only New Year's resolution (I don't make many, because I'm not great at keeping them) was to learn how to take better pictures for this blog. So far, I am only familiar with two settings on our camera - flash on, or flash off, LOL! That results in pictures that look somehow lost in between "well lit" and "strangely dim." But anyway, this is about food and not photography, right? So you'll forgive the photos!?

On to the recipe - super quick and easy. A method, really - this takes all of fifteen minutes. Even if you're drinking wine as you go (I'm a bad influence! ;-) I won't give too much detail because it's super-simple!

I make the beans first. Simply heat some olive oil in a nonstick skillet. Toss in the frozen beans, and stir continuously for the first couple minutes. Season with salt and pepper and remove them to a serving dish when they are still bright green but tender-crisp (say, 4 minutes). To the same pan, add 1 clove chopped or minced garlic and 1 tsp butter. Stir this around for about a minute, just until the garlic is golden (don't let it brown!) Pour that over the beans and toss to coat. They're done! (Keep 'em warm in a 200 degree oven if you like).

Next, in the same skillet, sautee the fish on the stovetop (start with a medium-high heat and warm the pan and olive oil first). I start all fish skin-side up, so the top gets a nice brown glaze and a bit of crust to it. When you flip it, season the top with salt and pepper. Most fish doesn't take long to cook, so flip it when it appears (from the side view) that it's cooked halfway through.

Meanwhile, warm your rice in the microwave, and toss with any seasoning you like - butter, olive oil, soy sauce, salt, red pepper flakes, you pick it!

When you're done, it'll look something like this. Enjoy!



Love, Dahrlin'

13 comments:

MOMMY-MOMO said...

yummy! the whole meal looks fantastic!

Jennifer said...

It certainly looks really yummy! I'm usually apprehensive when it comes to trying new fish. I tend to stick to my favorites since I don't like 'fishy' flavors-even though it's fish! :0)

Live.Love.Eat said...

Hey girl!!!!!! How are you? This looks soooo good!!!!!! I am really glad you're doing TMTT! I am going through all my emails and trying to catch up. I have missed you though and will send you an email shortly. I am trying to get used to my new camera as well but I have learned that if the camera has a scene select for food it makes such a difference.

Life with Kaishon said...

This looks spectacular! Thanks for sharing. I love things that freeze well also!

Lisa said...

I love fish and should serve it more. My daughter claims all I make are beans...sort of true.

Your photos were fine. Good luck learning with your camera, though.

Wifey Dessert said...

that looks so yummy!!!! thank you for the great recipe!!!

Brenda said...

I like fish a lot and its such an easy meal to fix. Thanks for the idea!

Angela said...

Thanks Ladies! I enjoyed reading your comments and will be by to visit each of you in return. I am really enjoying TMTT!!

Lisa@BlessedwithGrace said...

I need to cook more fish. Thanks for the recipe. I am so glad you have become apart of our TMTT family.

Michelle said...

Always a good recipe, huh? I haven't done artic char because I'm leery of the trout comparison that I've heard before (even tilapia is a little iffy for me). I do love me some haricots vert though! :)

Angela said...

Lisa (Blessed) - thanks for hosting TMTT! I am loving it!

Michelle - definitely try the char. I found that it tastes pretty much JUST like salmon. I think there is a hint of trout flavor but not enough to throw you. I absolutely loved it and think, with my eyes closed, I probably could not tell salmon vs. char apart.

Angie's Spot said...

Oh my, that looks yummy! Maybe the Fresh Market here has that fish? I'll have to investigate.

Knatolee said...

Arctic char is my absolute favourite fish!!

Related Posts with Thumbnails