Monday, December 8, 2008

Menu Plan Monday

I am SO excited. Over something so simple, but which makes me very happy. This is the first time I've been able to menu plan in MONTHS. Just the idea of having a plan - some idea of what's for dinner this week - gives me so much more peace than I've had recently. Being out of my routine really throws me mentally off my game, so I am very glad to get back to some of my usual tasks - things I've missed the last few months! (I may not get our Christmas cards out until February, but at least we'll be fed).

Since we are hosting large family holiday meals (Thanksgiving and Christmas) just a few weeks apart, we are going to try to use up as many frozen foods and pantry items as we can in between. We've ended up with a freezer full of odds and ends and a similar situation in the pantry - ingredients for meals, rather than meals in and of themselves, but that's what makes cooking fun. And of course since everyone's feeling the economic pinch these days, we are of course looking to save as many dollars at the store as we can this week. So this week's menu will use up a few ingredients from our fridge and pantry, such as almond butter and leftover sweet potatoes that didn't make it into the holiday casserole. We also have some hamburger buns languishing and a couple of freezer meals I want to use up (can you tell I'm thinking out loud here? LOL!) As we go I will also weed out anything that is leftover from last winter (yeah, it's that bad!).

So here's the plan:



Monday: Mexican Chicken with Almond-Chile Cream, Baked Sweet Potatoes with Cinnamon Butter, Buttered Broccoli

Tuesday: Baked Tilapia with Baby Lima Beans, Rosemary Olive-Oil Garlic Toast

Wednesday: Burgers, Fried Okra (or possibly Tater Tots and Wilted Spinach)

Thursday: Honey-Nut Chicken, Buttered Corn, Buttered Broccoli

Friday:
Atkins Park Pork Tenderloin, Rice with Pecans, Garlic Butter Green Beans

Saturday: Friends coming over for our annual Tour of Lights (we pile into our car with Christmas music, drinks and snacks to tour our subdivision's light displays)

Sunday: Black Bean Chili, Cornbread

Happy week!

Love, Dahrlin'

9 comments:

Tina said...

Sounds great!

Your Frugal Friend, Niki said...

Oooh the whole week sounds delish!

:)

Live.Love.Eat said...

That Mexican chicken sounds really good!!!!!

Karen said...

I need to start eating out of our pantry too. Next week...

teachermomof2 said...

Your menu sounds great and so does the holiday tour of lights! :0)

Angela said...

Tina, Niki and Karen - thank you for stopping by! It's nice to "meet" you ladies!

Steph - we did make the Mexican Chicken tonight. It is really yummy! It's a favorite of mine and I should make it more often.

Lisa - the tour of lights is so fun! We live in a pretty big neighborhood of about 800 homes, so we don't ever make it all the way through. But it is always a treat!

Michelle said...

Angela - this is two days in a row here. Does your husband know you're blogging? ;)

btw I have a recipe MADE for leftovers that actually uses buns. It's coming up in a post in the next couple days if you want to keep an eye out for it.

Robin's Reports said...

Having a little veggies with your butter?

Just kidding...

Angie's Spot said...

I'm so proud of you for getting back on the meal planning wagon! I need to clean out our freezers and pantry so badly. I know there are ingredients for at least a dozen meals in there. And heaven knows I could use some ease around here for the next couple of weeks.

Related Posts with Thumbnails