Saturday, December 6, 2008

The Holiday Recipe Chronicles: Spiced Nuts

So I keep promising you guys a new recipe. Today I'm here to fulfill that promise, LOL!

We made a lot of family favorites over Thanksgiving, and we make many of the same recipes for Christmas Dinner. Over the next few weeks I hope to share many of them with you here on the blog. I'd love to hear your thoughts on your own favorites as well! I always look for ways to improve what we make each year, but I try to keep the recipes basically unaltered, because there is grumbling from the ranks if I make too many changes :-)

I may not have pictures for all of the recipes initially, but I will update the posts with photos when we make these at Christmas.

So here's the first one. I'm beginning with this one for a couple of reasons - one, I have to go out shortly and get our Christmas tree, so I need to keep today's post short, LOL! But also because it's one that is so good, and so easy, I wanted to post it early (or relatively early) in the season. It makes PERFECT gifts for almost anyone (except those with allergies). So try it sometime and see how you like it! So far, we've made it with pecans and cashews, and both are great. I think you could do this with any nut you prefer.

I also owe my friend Katherine the credit for this recipe. I believe it originally came from her family. Now it's a favorite of ours as well!

Spiced Nuts
(proportions as given; to make a smaller or larger batch just adjust the seasoning mixture and the egg wash)

1 lb. pecan halves
1 egg white, beaten
3/4 cup granulated sugar
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp ground ginger
1/4 tsp ground cloves
1/2 tsp kosher salt

Preheat oven to 225. Combine sugar and spices. Toss nuts with egg white to coat well. Then toss well with spice mixture. Place in a single layer in a buttered pan with 2" sides. Bake for 1 hour or so, turning every 15 minutes (make sure they bake until the coating is "dry" and nuts are glazed). Cool completely in a single layer and then store in an airtight container...if you have any leftovers :-)

Enjoy!

Love, Dahrlin'

4 comments:

Michelle said...

Yay, Angela! So glad to see a post from you, even though I'm not a nut person unfortunately. I hope this means you're feeling even better. Can't wait to see what else you have in store -- and now I have a taste for that salmon quesadilla... mmmm!

Angela said...

Thanks Michelle!

I am hanging in there. I think another trip to my now-favorite-doctor the acupuncturist may be in store this week, but so far so good. I should be back to blogging this week, and cooking. And now you've made me hungry for salmon, LOL! Every time I make those now I think of you guys. I love when I'm able to share a recipe that people truly enjoy and make again!

Live.Love.Eat said...

Oh how I wish I was a spiced nut kinda gal. But I am sure they're tasty!!!! I may have to try them anyway especially as a gift! So glad to see you posting!

Angie's Spot said...

This is right up Jake's alley. Maybe when I'm feeling less like death warmed over, I'll be festive and make some of these for him. I'll make sure he thanks you the next time we see each other! :-)

Related Posts with Thumbnails