Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Mmmmm...Waffles!

This will be a quick post during a bit of a hectic week, but I wanted to share my all-time favorite waffle recipe. We make these all fall and winter (along with a couple other favorites) and these just make me smile any time of day. They are FULL of good things for your body, and yet they don't have that "health food" taste (or lack thereof ;-) Add some real butter and some real maple syrup, and you'll have a new favorite too! Try these out for your kids too. I bet you they won't even notice they're eating something healthy!



These freeze beautifully (cool completely, then freezer bag in flat layers with waxed paper separating the waffles). Reheat in a toaster (or regular) oven at about 275 for 10 minutes. I like to put some butter and syrup on a plate and sit it on top of the toaster oven while they heat. When they're done, voila - a crispy waffle, a warm plate and syrup and butter that won't cool everything down. YUM!

Hope you enjoy as much as we do!

Blueberry Multigrain Waffles
(Makes 24, 4" square waffles)

2 cups whole wheat flour
1 cup all purpose flour
1 cup old-fashioned oats
2 tsp baking powder
2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
4 eggs
2 cups milk (or soymilk if you prefer)
1/4 cup pure maple syrup (don't cheat - NOT "pancake" syrup)
2 tsp vanilla extract
1 cup butter, OR 3/4 cup butter and 1/4 cup flaxseed oil
2 cups lowfat (or fat free) plain yogurt
1 cup or so blueberries, fresh or frozen
1 cup or so pecans or walnuts, finely chopped

If you have a stand mixer, you'll want to use it as this makes a lot of batter. But any large mixing bowl is fine.

Combine dry ingredients (first 6 above) in the large mixing bowl (stir well). In a smaller bowl, melt butter (add flax oil if using). In another bowl, lightly beat the eggs then add the milk, syrup and vanilla. Add this mixture to the dry ingredients, then add the butter mixture and the yogurt. Combine well (but don't overmix) and gently stir in nuts and blueberries. Allow batter to rest while you preheat and grease your waffle iron.

Bake waffles about medium heat until you see how your waffle iron works with the recipe. On mine it's about medium heat, and I have one of those square ones that makes 4 waffles at a time, so I use about 1.5 cups batter for each set of 4. These are SOOOO good - I hope you enjoy!

Love, Dahrlin'

7 comments:

Robin's Reports said...

Praying for you guys. Let me know if there is anything I can do for your during this time.

Angela said...

Thanks so much, Robin! We're praying for you too; I saw your note on facebook today :-(

Michelle said...

Uh oh... that doesn't sound too positive. Here's hoping you don't have bad news.

At least you cracked me up with your idea of getting the warm butter and syrup. Make sure you don't mention that little snippit to the wee ones!

Live.Love.Eat said...

You are so good, making your waffles from scratch. I love that they can be frozen. And they look delicious!!!!!!

Lora said...

P.S. Just wanted to tell you that I've tagged you over on my blog.

Gwendolyn said...

They look wonderful! I'm going to write this down and try it this weekend. :o)

Angie's Spot said...

These waffles are SO good! Now that I have a nice waffle iron, I need to get on this and freeze some up. My girls need to get off this Eggo-crack. Bleh.

Related Posts with Thumbnails