Saturday, October 4, 2008

Happy Saturday!

So as many of you know, it's been a rough week around here. Hubby asked me not to blog about it, so I won't, but I will just say thanks to all for your prayers and love for us and Miss Tucker. She's hanging in there! I will update soon by email.

Meanwhile, I made my very favorite bread recipe last weekend, and wanted to share it with you. I apologize that I did not take step-by-step pics, as I had a second little Beagle Booger underfoot to keep an eye on.

But anyway, this is one of my very favorite side dishes for fall and winter. I'm not typically a "bread with dinner" type person, because I usually seek to optimize calories vs. nutrition, and bread isn't always the most nutritious contribution to a meal :-) But this one has veggies!! Real, actual sauteed veggies, that at least make me feel I'm doing something right!

So try it sometime. It's super easy (and fun) to make, and kids would enjoy making it too because of the hands-on factor. Bonus - it only rises once, so it doesn't take forever to make! And it's beautiful and colorful and homemade. Perfect for a luncheon or company, as well. What else can you ask for in a dinner roll?



Veggie Pull-Apart Bread
(Makes one round bundt loaf)

You can use a bread machine to make (but not bake) the dough, or a stand mixer with dough hook, or a food processor (use plastic blade and check your user's manual) or make by hand. Whatever your preference! I use the stand mixer, because it takes about 2 minutes to knead the dough to a perfect consistency.

For Dough:
4.5 tsp butter, softened
1/2 cup water (plus extra teaspoon or two if needed)
1/2 cup sour cream
3 Tbsp sugar
1.5 tsp salt
3 cups all purpose flour
1.5 tsp active dry yeast

For Veggie Mixture:
1 cup chopped celery
1 cup sliced green onion
1 cup chopped green pepper
(can also add finely diced or shredded carrot)
3 Tbsp butter
1 cup shredded cheddar or Mexican cheese
*optional - 6 bacon strips, cooked and crumbled

This would be an excellent dough for a thick-crust pizza, too.

If using bread machine, follow manufacturer's directions to make dough. Do not bake in bread machine though.

To use stand mixer with dough hook or food processor, add dry ingredients, except one cup flour but including yeast, to work bowl. Mix briefly to combine, then turn on low (or pulse a few times as you go) and add liquid ingredients gradually. Add last cup of flour gradually, then add water a tsp at a time if needed, to correct consistency. Knead for a couple minutes; dough should be smooth and elastic but not sticky. Turn out onto a floured board, cover and let rest for 10 minutes.

While dough is resting, saute veggies in butter until tender (you could use EVOO instead, if you prefer). Remove from heat and combine with cheese (and bacon, if using). Grease a standard bundt pan with olive oil.

Divide dough into 24 balls (more or less), and roll each ball in the veggie and cheese mixture. Place in greased bundt pan, cover and let rise in a warm place for about an hour, or until doubled in size. Bake at 350 or 40-45 minutes or until golden brown. Yummy!! Hope you enjoy!

Love, Dahrlin'

8 comments:

Michelle said...

That sounds like so much fun! I love making bread (I must be European in a former life... I need my bread with just about every meal), and this is definitely one I'll hae to try!

Glad to hear Miss Tuck is hanging in there -- how are you both doing?

Lora said...

This looks really, really good!!

Angie's Spot said...

Glad to hear you guys are hanging in there! I just back home after a VERY long day of shopping and visiting. It was a blast! Sore throat is back though. Yuk.

This recipe looks yummy! Kind of like monkey bread with healthy stuff. LOL!

xoxo

Angela said...

Michelle - I bet Little Miss and Mister Man would enjoy helping you make this one! And yeah, I also love bread. Just can't afford to eat it at every meal or I'd have to give up something else, like protein, LOL! :-)

Tuck is hanging in and we are just keeping a close eye on her this weekend. Hubby may try to work from home some this week, as I know it is killing him whenever we can't be here wtih her :-(

Lora - hope you enjoy! How is the move going?

Angie - glad you guys had fun! Sorry you are not feeling well. And yeah, the girls would probably love to help make this bread. I think it's a very kid friendly recipe, and may be a way to get them to eat veggies!

Live.Love.Eat said...

Oh, Angela, this looks amazing!!!!! So, so, so good. And I love you new profile picture!!!!!!

Robin's Reports said...

Oh I'm saving this one. I may have to find some fake vegan cheese for it.

As for Ms Tuck, prayers for you, D and Tucker girl.

I know how rough a spot you are in. Jackson........oh, sigh,I know you know.

Angela said...

Steph - Thanks!! Try it, I bet you'll love it!

And Robin - thanks so much. I know you know!!

Melody-Jane Symonds said...

Oh, yummy. If I ever make bread again, I'll have to try this. If I can get the flour over here in the Land of Rye.

Related Posts with Thumbnails