Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Wednesday's Weeknight Recipe Review

Happy Wednesday!

I may start this as a new feature on this blog, because I am always looking for good, weeknight-friendly recipes. But anyway, we tried PW's Cheese Muffins last night, and they were GREAT! On a tip from my friend Barbara, I added a tiny bit of garlic powder to them. That was tasty and added a little zing to the cheese.



I happened to be (also on the spur of the moment) deviating from my planned menu, so we were having Italian Stuffed Chicken Breasts for dinner (I can't get enough of these freezer meals!). I checked and discovered that the chicken and the muffins bake at the same temperature for (basically) the same amount of time. Woohoo! I decided to make them, then noticed I only had half as much cheese as was called for. So I decided to halve the recipe, and that worked fine!

Half the recipe made exactly five muffins. If you have extra muffin tin "holes", you can fill them with water to help make sure the surrounding muffins bake evenly. And in some recipes, if you need "half" an egg, you can just throw the whole egg in. But this is baking, where you have to be at least a little careful (even with quick breads like muffins), so I just decided to beat one egg in a measuring cup and use half of it in the recipe. That seemed to work fine.

The muffins were a hit with both of us, and for myself I also had wilted spinach (hubs had regular salad, since he won't eat spinach unless it's been cooked to death at least twice). It was a nicely rounded spring or fall menu that was truly on the table in 30 minutes! I was very pleased with that feature, as well.

Hope you guys have a great Wednesday!

Love, Dahrlin'

9 comments:

Robin's Reports said...

I wish I could eat the cheese. PW's cheese muffins look delicious whether their on your blog or hers.

Live.Love.Eat said...

Spinach cooked to death TWICE. Hah!!!! These cheese muffins look outstanding!!!!!

Katherine said...

Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhh those Cheese Muffins look yummy! Definitely going to have to try that recipe. PW's blueberry muffins come first though.

:-) Katherine

Angie's Spot said...

Oh my, those look divine! We'll have to sample them this weekend again. Do I have to twist your arm? :-)

bafleyanne said...

I'm glad you liked them! Yours look a lot better than mine ended up looking. :) I'm thinking about halving the recipe and making some mini cheese muffins in my mini muffin tin to use in Jamie's lunches. :)

Angela said...

Thanks all!

Robin, I'll post that veggie pull-apart bread I was telling you about soon!

Steph, yep, hubs has a crazy phobia of raw green vegetables, LOL!

Katherine, move these to the top of your list. You can have them with dinner!

Angie, no problem on making more! I think I could literally eat these until I turn orange. But I'll try not to scare you like that!

Barbara, I think mini-muffins would work great. I started to do that last night, but then figured we had four chicken breasts so four or five regular muffins would go nicely. Either way, they're good!

Michelle said...

Nicely done. Those muffins look delicious. And mmmm wilted spinach. Your husband is so missing out.

Me, I went the totally unhealthy route and made some grown up mac & cheese (including tomatoes and bacon).

Angela said...

Thanks Michelle! I keep telling hubby he is missing out. The wilted spinach is the way to go! And hey, mac n' cheese is one of my faves for cooler weather, which we're finally getting here!

Bobbi said...

Hi Angela - thanks for visiting my recipe blog!

Regarding the pizza stone - yes, I do preheat my stone in a 425 degree oven. Also, another trick I use is to form the dough on a piece of parchment paper. I then put the pizza (still on the parchment paper) onto the stone. The paper keeps the pizza from sticking to the stone and helps make a crisp crust.

Related Posts with Thumbnails