Saturday, September 27, 2008

Truly The Best Brownies

Today's recipe is one I've been meaning to share here for a while. There are a bazillion recipes for brownies out there, and everyone seems to have their favorite version. Some like cakey brownies, some like gooey ones, some fudgy ones, some with flavors or candy added, etc. etc. But for several reasons, I think these are the best I've tried.

First of all, they're a "whole food" type of recipe, meaning no artificial ingredients and nothing you can't pronounce. Second, there are literally 6 ingredients, and they are super easy to make and super yummy! I made them Saturday to take to our friends' house for dinner, and they're always a hit. And lastly, I think they have the best flavor and texture I've tried.

Since brownies are a pretty universal treat, and no special skills are required, I didn't do my usual step-by-step photo layout. To emphasize how quick and easy they are, I'll just tell you it takes about 10 minutes hands-on, and about 45-minutes baking, to go from this:



To this:



The only special trick you need to be aware of is that it will make your life SO much easier, if you will line your baking pan with parchment paper before making these (or any brownies). Once they're baked, let 'em cool a few minutes and then just lift the paper out of the pan and onto a cutting board. I use a pizza cutter to make quick squares out of these. (And then I quickly put them into something to take them somewhere, anywhere else, so I don't eat them all immediately!)

My Favorite Brownies
(Makes 16-25 brownies)

2 sticks butter
4 Tbsp cocoa
1.5 cups all purpose flour
2 cups sugar
2 tsp vanilla
4 eggs

Preheat oven to 300. Melt butter in a microwave-safe dish. In a large mixing bowl, combine dry ingredients and whisk together. In a separate bowl, whisk eggs and add to butter; stir in vanilla. Add to dry ingredient mixture and stir gently just until combined (do not over mix; batter may be slightly lumpy). Pour into 8x8 pan lined with parchment paper, and spread batter evenly in pan. Bake at 300 for approx 45 minutes or until baked to your liking (I like them a little more fudgy). Cool about 1/2 hour in pan, then lift paper out of pan and slice as desired.

Hope you enjoy!

Love, Dahrlin'

5 comments:

Michelle said...

Mmmm brownies! I love brownies, and my recipe is similar to that... except that I add dried cherries to mine (see your first comment on people's brownie recipes!). I LOVE your idea of using the pizza cutter to cut the parchment paper. That's brilliant!

Angie's Spot said...

These brownies were really good! I need to jot this down now. :-)

I'm sure they were a big hit! I'm hoping to get caught up on email tomorrow. I've got several responses for ya. xoxo

Live.Love.Eat said...

These look great!! But you're right, there are so many different ones out there & my husband loves the store bought brownies so I end up never making these which is too bad. So, you would say these are fudgy?

Angela said...

Michelle - yum! I love chocolate cherry combinations. Panera Bread (do you guys have that in IL?) has a wonderful bread that they make seasonally - try it if you can! And thanks for the note on the pizza cutter - the idea was truly born of desperation, because I was in a hurry and had no time to fool with them sticking to the knife I usually use!

Angie - can't wait to read the updates!

Stpehanie - I totally understand because I love those box mixes too. But try these sometime just to see the difference. I was pleasantly reminded of brownies I grew up on, that my grandmother made.

Hope you guys enjoy!

Suzann @ Lavender and Roses said...

Hubby is a brownie fiend. I will definitely try these too. This also made me recall my mother in law's recipe (her only decent one) for brownies. Thanks!

Related Posts with Thumbnails