So today's topic is my very favorite season. Whether you call it autumn, or fall, or (around here) just "football season," it's my very favorite season of the year. I love so many things about it! Here are a few:
(1) Okay, let's go ahead and get this one out there. Who am I kidding? FOOD!!! Fall brings a welcome break in the suffocating Georgia summer heat and humidity, and with the cooler temperatures comes a return to the dishes I adore. The comfort food, pastas, hot sandwiches, creamy soups and casseroles that warm up cool fall evenings. Stay tuned, because some of my very favorite recipe offerings are things I only prepare during cooler weather!
(2) And since I've already mentioned it, cooler weather is also at the top of my list. I detest hot weather, and my idea of comfortably warm is 73 or below, so I welcome fall breezes with open arms (and open windows). I love that first day where the air is crispy and the sky is crystal blue and endless. I can't wait!
(3) What's fall without the beautiful colors of the world around us? For these few months of the year, I love watching God paint the landscape with gorgeous reds, golds, oranges and browns. I even pull my food and home decorating cues from these colors, as I love anything that reminds me of the season at hand. I need that rhythm throughout the year - I don't think I would thrive somewhere without noticeably changing seasons.
(4) Of course, in this house football is a huge factor. We sometimes get very little else accomplished during the fall (except food, because I've got my priorities in order on that score! :-) We all love to watch the games, and my husband and father usually bet a lot of them (which is very amusing to watch, as well!). Go DAWGS!
(5) I also love that during the fall, we usually see almost all of our friends at some point. We typically have people over to watch the games (or go to them), or get together somewhere to eat and watch. But we will often end up seeing some folks that we maybe did not see all summer, which is awesome.
(6) Family - like our friends, we typically get a chance to see each family member at least once during the fall. Fall, and Christmas, are very special times for us.
(7) I also sleep better when it's cool, so as everything cools down I start to sleep like a champ. I love the extra rest that I get in the fall, when it's not so hard to talk myself into going to bed earlier! Hubby and I keep our house as cool as we can, so we joke that we are going into hibernation.
(8) Planning for the holidays - Fall is my favorite season, but Christmas is my all-time favorite holiday/time of year. I'm
(9) Walking outside again - see dislike of heat, above - I love to walk around our neighborhood, but just can't do it in the summer heat. It's oppressive here. So I love being able to get out and walk the hills around our home.
(10) A return to routine - as the kids go back to school (everyone else's, that is!) and the lazy days of summer come to an end, I'm usually actually glad to get back into a good routine. Something about summer entices me to just ignore whatever I should be doing and play. Especially this year, with the pool. But the ensuing chaos of ignored responsibilities is starting to get to me, so I'll be glad to get back into a bit of a rhythm soon!
(11) Hot things - I miss lots of "hot stuff" during the summer. I miss hot chocolate, hot toddies, hot food (LOL!), hot baths, our fireplace, etc. I love the first cold, rainy day where I can have a fire in the fireplace without roasting us out of the den.
(12) More time for hobbies - I'm looking forward to finishing my wedding scrapbook, making more progress on my knitting project, and getting back into a good workout routine. Hmmm. Maybe if I work out enough, I can also fit back into my cold weather clothes, LOL!
(13) "Fall" cleaning - it sounds odd, but I really reserve most of my so-called deep or "spring" cleaning for fall. In the spring, the early appearance of pollen here makes it impossible for me to open windows when I'm cleaning. But in the fall, I don't have that problem and I can open the windows and screen doors and let the breeze blow through while I clean. And the cooler weather actually gives me energy. Or maybe it's just that the heat stops sapping it!
Anyway, hope you all are looking forward to fall as much as I am!!