Monday, July 7, 2008

Weekend Wrapup

Wow, it feels like I've been away from blog land forEVER. I've missed you all!

Hope everyone had a great fourth! We had a wonderful weekend visiting with several of our best friends, and stuffing ourselves full of yummy food. While I'm on the subject of food, we did in fact make the 4th of July cake recommended by P-Dub. And I can, in turn, highly recommend it. I made half the recipe, which fit perfectly in my smaller pan. And she's right about the cream cheese frosting. It's a confection all its own!



We also had so much fun visiting with one of our favorite little ones. He's the son of two of our best friends, and we love getting to see them. He's at such a cute age right now, too. He had a blast playing in the pool and running us all ragged!



In other news, today officially begins Our Week Off. We're staying at home to enjoy the pool, but we're officially ON VACATION! WOOHOO! I'm sure we'll spend most of the week trying to talk ourselves out of doing chores around the house while on vacation, but I'm just SO happy to have some time off.

I hope to get lots of blogging in this week, so stay tuned! And I hope to get caught up on all of your blogs. My reader overfloweth, LOL!

Meanwhile, here's a yummy recipe that we made this weekend. I wanted to make potato salad, but wanted something more crowd-friendly than my own two preferred versions. I'm not a big mayo fan, so I usually make either sour cream and dill potato salad, or a Rachael Ray version that I love with capers and a vinaigrette dressing. I wasn't sure either of those would necessarily appeal to everyone in our party, so I made something I thought everyone would like. And they did! Hope you enjoy!

Baked Potato Salad
(Feeds at least 6 as a side)

3 very large baking potatoes
("Very Large" was all my market had!)
1 pound bacon
1 bunch green onions, chopped
2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
1.5 cups sour cream (to desired texture)
Salt and Pepper to taste
Butter (optional)

Cube potatoes (I leave the skins on) and boil gently until tender. Drain and allow to cool a bit. Meanwhile, brown bacon and crumble (I chop it into pieces first before browning, so it's more uniformly crispy, but you could do it either way). When potatoes are cool, stir in remaining ingredients. Serve chilled. Loaded baked potato taste, without the hassle!

Happy Monday!

9 comments:

Angie said...

Glad you guys had a great weekend! Little "L" is getting so big! He's adorable. Thanks for another great recipe. I can't wait to try it!

Lora said...

Thanks for your comment on my pie:) You should definitely try planting some blueberry bushes! They're so easy and the results are delicious!
Your cake turned out beautiful! I love PW's recipes, too. I'll have to remember this one.
Hope you have a great week relaxing by the pool--that sounds wonderful!

Angela said...

Angie - yep, he's growing like a weed. And that two year old attitude you were talking about with Little A? I think Little L is ahead of his age in that category, LOL! He definitely has a will these days. But so adorable it's easy to forgive!

Lora - thanks so much for visiting! And yes, I think we will try to plant some bluberry bushes. I LOVE blueberries!

Michelle said...

Brilliant and yummy. I love the cake... and hate you just a LITTLE tiny bit both for making it so beautiful and being on vacation all week.

The potato salad sounds good. Although I don't like baking potatoes (I'm weird, I know) so I'll probably use my favorite reds :) But I'll be adding that one (oh and turkey bacon too...) to my repetoire. Yum!

Connordog said...

Lucky you! Enjoy your week off!!!

Angela said...

Michelle, LOL! And I think red potatoes would be fine. That's what I usually use as well, but this one called for russets and I like those on occasion, so I tried them. I bet buttery yukon golds would be yummy too.

And Steph, hope you are feeling better this week!

Amy @ Milk Breath and Margaritas said...

Cute pics! We do a cake like that too, every year.

Thanks for commenting on my fancy schmancy shoes. Anyone who has 60 pairs tossed on the floor of their closet is AWESOME.

teachermomof2 said...

Your dessert looks beautiful! I bet it was as yummy as it looks.

Blessings,
Lisa

Angela said...

Thanks Lisa! I can definitely recommend that cake!

Related Posts with Thumbnails