Tuesday, July 29, 2008

That's a LOTTA food!

Happy Tuesday!

So as may be obvious from my blog generally, I love food. I love to shop for it, cook it, eat it, talk about it, plan around it, etc. I know that won't be any surprise to most of you! :-)

As I mentioned, we have had seven houseguests visiting for the last few days. I know some of you moms of five kids are dying of laughter right now, thinking "what is she complaining about!?" But usually it's just two of us, so a large influx of people creates all kinds of interesting scenarios. Everyone arrived Friday, then three went home late Sunday, three little ones went home Monday and the last guest departed this morning.

The weekend was a whirlwind, and I'll be posting more about that later. It was tons of fun, lots of chaos and a great time. But for today, I just started considering how much food we went through over those few days, and thought it would be interesting to take a tally. This was just done out of curiosity - we are thrilled that we got to see everyone and we were delighted to host the gathering. I'm not in any way complaining about what was eaten, I just found it fascinating to see how fast food can fly out of the fridge and pantry when nine people are milling around through the house. And one tiny one always wants a snack (she is absolutely precious and hilarious!)... but more on that story later :-)

So anyway, it was truly amazing to me to see how much food 9 people could go through in three days. Two days, really, considering that the majority of guests were only with us (for dining purposes) Friday night through Sunday night. I know this will not be a shock to many of you out there with teenagers or large families, but hubby and I are used to being the only people eating at our house, at least for the most part. So just for fun, here's a partial list (meaning stuff I can think of off the top of my head) of the items we, as a group of five adults and four kids, demolished between Friday and Monday. The really funny part is that except for the catfish, this list does not include meals that we ate out, including two dinners and a lunch.

4 medium pizzas
2 pounds BBQ
1 quart coleslaw
1 quart baked beans
2 boxes pop tarts
1 large (family size) box cheerios
1.5 gallons milk
4 catfish fillets
1 dozen eggs
1 pound bacon
4 biscuits
8 juice boxes
8 hot dogs
8 hot dog buns
6 hamburgers
6 burger buns
1 package american cheese
1 pound shrimp
1 bag tortilla chips
1 jar salsa
1 jar cocktail sauce
1/2 gallon ice cream
2 bags microwave popcorn
1 pitcher apple juice
1 pitcher lemonade
1/2 gallon OJ
1 quart half and half
Various beer, wine and drinks for the adults

And that's just what I can think of off the top of my head, LOL! But anyway, I'm curious - what does your family go through a lot of food-wise?

While you're chewing on that question (geeze, I crack myself up!) I'm off to work on the next post from this weekend...right after I finish work!

Love, Dahrlin'

4 comments:

Angie said...

It amazes me how much food my family of 4 goes through. For instance, a loaf of bread and a gallon of milk every 3 days. It never ceases to amaze me how much food my "a's" can put into their little tummys. And then squawk an hour later that they're hungry...AGAIN.

Stephanie said...

Yep, I would havta agree, that's a whole lotta food!!! In a house of 3we really only go through a 1/2 gal chocolate soy milk every 2 1/2 days for my little guy, diet coke because my husband will set one down like in our closet on the shelf, forghet where it is and then get a new one, and if I had to pick something for me, uh, Grey Goose. Does that count :)

Michelle said...

Really, only a half gallon of ice cream and two bags of popcorn? That's not so bad on that side of things. Some of the rest though... wow!

We aren't huge eaters (exept for my husband). If I make three chicken breasts for dinner for the four of us with a side, then we're usually good. Another friend of mine goes through 5-6 breasts for her family of four the same (essentially) age as us. They also have a deep freeze and we don't!

Robin's Reports said...

Am I the only one who thinks that isn't a lot of food for 7 people, who are swimming and running around the house, on vacation? My boys' appetites can almost double on days they swim.

I can't really measure the food adequately but I buy 1 gal milk, 1 gal juice, 1 gal choc milk, 4 gal cranapple juice, 1 qt coffee-mate, 48 cokes and 5 soda bottles nearly every 2 wk period. That doesn't include coffee & lemonade or water that I drink constantly.

Related Posts with Thumbnails