Saturday, July 26, 2008

Summertime Favorites: Mint Julep Pineapple

Happy Saturday!

I'm taking a break from our family vacation to bring you a new recipe! (Okay, so most of our guests went to Six Flags for the day, leaving me lots of time to blog!! Wheee!!!)

This is one I mentioned in a recent menu plan, and had a couple of requests for. It's one that I love during summer, and really anytime I want something that just reminds me of summer...such as on a gray and rainy afternoon in January. Its bright, cheerful colors and happy flavors make me think of Hawaii. And the Kentucky Derby. And just Southern cocktails in general. You get the idea. This is happy food!

I'm a born and raised Tennessee girl, so I'm a bit snobby with my bourbon and will only use Jack Daniel's, but you could use any bourbon you prefer. (If you want to keep it alcohol free, just omit the bourbon, no biggie). This is another one I plan to make again soon, so I will take a photo for you then. But in the meantime, here you go!

Mint Julep Pineapple
(adapted from May 2005 issue of Gourmet magazine)
(serves 4 as dessert)

2 Tbsp bourbon
1/4 cup finely chopped fresh mint
2 Tbsp whole fresh mint leaves (use small ones)
1 Tbsp sugar (I use brown sugar, but it calls for white)
1 medium pineapple (about 2 pounds) - extra sweet if you can find it

Combine bourbon, chopped mint and sugar and stir well. Allow to stand for about 20 minutes to blend flavors. While you're waiting, trim, core and slice pineapple into your preferred shape (I like thin, bite size wedges, but you could also do larger slices on a plate for a pretty presentation). Top pineapple with strained mint mixture (you just want the syrup) and toss gently with whole mint leaves. Serve and enjoy!

Love, Dahrlin'

5 comments:

Angie said...

Can you believe I've never had a Mint Julep before?! But, I love pineapple, so I'll have to give this a shot. :-)

Bobbi said...

I'm from KY - home of the KY Derby and the Mint Julep! However, I can't stand the taste of the Juleps they serve at Churchhill Downs!

However, your pineapple version sounds divine. I'm going to check out the liquor cabinet and see if I can mix one up! Thanks!

Angela said...

Angie - yep, I can believe it! I've only had one or two and, like Bobbi, haven't been crazy about the ones I've tasted that were made by others. Usually way too sweet when bartenders make them. But a good one is divine!

Bobbi - I can only imagine what they're serving to the guests at Churchill. I've never had a good julep anywhere out - they usually put in way too much sugar. But this is reminiscent of those flavors without that effect. Hope you like!

Michelle said...

Mmmm, yummy! I'm with Angie having never had a mint julep before, but this sounds good! I did grilled pineapple yesterday, so I'm getting good at that dissecting a pineapple thing! Out of curiosity, how long do you let the pineapple marinate in the yum and how long does it stay good for? Have fun with the houseguests!

Angela said...

Hi Michelle!

I have never really let the pineapple sit very long in the "sauce" once I combine them, because I am one of those people who is incapable of leaving leftover pineapple anywhere. I will pretty much make myself sick if that is what it takes to make sure that fresh pineapple does not languish unappreciated. But I think if you wanted to save some for later, you could just dress each portion as you serve it, reserving the pineapple and sauce separately. Not sure if the bourbon would do anything to the pineapple if left sitting. I'd probably keep 'em separate, but feel free to experiment!

(Now I'm going to have to go make this. Tomorrow. Just as soon as I've had some rest. With four munchkins sleeping in the room directly above us last night, didn't get much shut eye.)

Related Posts with Thumbnails