Tuesday, July 8, 2008

My Favorite Summer Movies, Part 1

Okay, I'm going to give you guys a break from my constant food-related posts of late. I'm sitting here at 11:20 pm (when I should be sleeping) watching one of my favorite movies of all time. My new friend Michelle just posted a neat piece about baseball and how it, in many ways, defines summer. That got me thinking about what reminds me of summer.

Anyone else love the movie The Great Outdoors? I just love, love, love this movie. It's good clean fun and reminds me of when I was a kid. Reminds me of summer camp, lake cabins, boating, and all kinds of fun things I associate with my childhood and teen years :-) Oh, and adorable Chris Young. My friends and I were all in love with him very appreciative of his acting skills! With a great cast, and a very decent plot, this movie never fails to put a smile on my face. John Candy, Dan Akroyd, Annette Bening and Chris Young. I won't ruin the story for you if you haven't seen it, but it just shrieks summer to me. I have been known to put this movie on in the middle of January, to give me a lift out of the winter doldrums.

If you haven't seen it, I highly recommend it. If you're in the mood to make snacks while you watch, make some s'mores and coke (or root beer) floats. They'll go well with the theme!

What about y'all? What movies do you love in the summertime?

3 comments:

Michelle said...

Awww, thanks, Angela! (As I'm sitting here at 11:29 MY time reading this instead of going to bed. Hmmmm)

Sadly, I've never heard of the Great Outdoors. That could be an interesting movie -- especially if you toss in s'mores. I'll skip the brown pop floats though.

Going back to my cultural illiteracy, there truly is no movie I associate with summer. I've seen so few movies in the last X years and missed so many when I was growing up (terribly sheltered childhood). Can I pretend it's the Pirates of the Caribbean movies?

Angie said...

I have never seen this movie in its entirety. I know, hard to believe. I don't know that I have a movie that just screams Summer to me. Now, holiday movies, I've got a list a mile long for that category! :-)

Angela said...

Michelle - go rent it! You'll love it! And oh, I love the Pirates movies!

Angie - next time you come down, we're totally watching this.

Related Posts with Thumbnails