Wednesday, July 2, 2008

Grilled Flank Steak with Red Wine Sauce

Happy Wednesday! How's your week going so far? Today I've got a quick and easy meal for you that will improve most any weekday, and help put a smile on your face after a long day at work. Bonus - it's husband approved!

We tried this recipe recently, and like most recipes I've tried from Giada, it's a keeper! It's super yummy, and it's weeknight-friendly. The steak is easily tossed on the grill. It's not really diet food, but the calories are worth it! (If you wanted, you could leave out most of the butter. But I don't recommend it! Don't worry, it doesn't all end up in the sauce...)

I love stovetop and, even better, grill recipes in the summertime. For grilled dishes, I can hand hubby a plate of ingredients and food magically reappears cooked (it's a great trick!). And while he's working his grill magic, I can prepare the sauce and side dishes on the stove. This meal is just such a combination, except the steak cooks very quickly, so you don't want to start grilling too far ahead.

As usual, I forgot to take a picture of the finished meal, but I promise I'm going to get better about that!

When I made this, I happened to have a couple of russet potatoes, some leftover chives and an open bottle of red wine languishing in the kitchen, and as I've mentioned before, I'm all about saving money and not wasting food these days. So for our side dish, I took the opportunity to make sour cream and chive mashed potatoes. They're just as yummy as they sound, and I'll post that quick recipe below too. Without further ado...

Steak with Red Wine Sauce
(adapted from Giada de Laurentiis)

1.5 lbs. flank steak or skirt steak (or any you prefer)
1 onion, thinly sliced
1 Tbsp minced garlic
2.5 cups red wine (any that you like)
6 Tbsp butter, divided
1 tsp. dried oregano
1/4 cup tomato paste
Olive oil (if cooking steak on stovetop)
Salt and freshly ground pepper

If you're using flank or skirt steak, it'll cook quickly (a couple minutes per side for medium rare). So just plan your sauce and sides, and cook your steak as necessary based on what type of meat you choose. If you use flank or skirt steak, just be sure to slice it thinly across the grain (after cooking).

This recipe is all about the sauce, which is heavenly. It's got a wonderful flavor and a velvety texture that goes great with beef!

Melt 2 Tbsp butter in a medium saucepan. Saute the onion for a few minutes until it begins to soften, then add garlic and oregano. Saute for about a minute, then stir in the tomato paste. Cook for a couple of minutes, being careful to stir often. Whisk in wine and combine well, boiling gently until sauce is reduced by about half. Stir in the remaining butter. Strain the sauce into a small bowl and discard the solids. Season to taste (and try not to eat the sauce by the spoonful standing over the counter, like I did). Serve over the steak.

Now, as I mentioned, I made some mashed potatoes to go with this because my husband doesn't know how to eat steak without potatoes loves the things. I had sour cream and chives on hand, so that's what I tossed in. But you could use most any potato topping you like. Potatoes are versatile that way! Just cube the potatoes (I leave them unpeeled), boil gently until tender, and drain. Add potatoes back to hot pan, and stir in about 1/2 cup sour cream, some chopped chives or whatever flavors you prefer. Don't forget to salt and peper well. I might have added some butter to mine, as well. But I wouldn't know anything about that... ;-)

Let me know how you like this one!

Love, Dahrlin'

3 comments:

Angie said...

That sounds yummy! I hope we can get a new grill by the end of the summer. In the meantime, I need to locate my grill pan. It's MIA.

Amy @ Milk Breath and Margaritas said...

This sounds really good! We may have to try it this weekend.

Thanks for stopping by my blog!

Angela said...

Thanks Amy! I think you'll enjoy it. And hope you feel better soon!

Related Posts with Thumbnails