Friday, July 18, 2008

Foodie Friday: Ummm... Yummy!

Happy Friday!

So tonight, I came home from work a little tired, and decided to do something fun that I haven't done in a while. I pulled out one of my favorite cooking magazines and started looking through the current issue. I was trolling for dinner ideas that wouldn't require a lot of work, since I'm hoping to do a lot of cooking this weekend. And what to my wondering eyes did appear, but a fabulous article on fresh salmon - and a dinner inspiration that turned out exceptionally well!

(Okay, that didn't quite rhyme... moving on!)

We already have a favorite recipe that makes easy weeknight use of whitefish and veggies or beans. But I don't have a similar preparation for salmon, which is what I wanted to make. I found a delicious-looking recipe in the magazine, but I didn't have asparagus on hand (or several other herbs called for) and I am not big on mussels. But still, the recipe was generally similar in theory to the one we like for whitefish, and I figured we could make it come together with what we had on hand. So, working off ideas from this beautiful dish in the magazine,



and incorporating a few elements of our favorite standby above, I put together this:



Hubby pronounced it a winner (despite the conspicuous lack of both beef and potatoes!), and I agree. It's a lovely flavor combination, and super easy to put together. Plus, it's just pretty! And if you're using wild-caught salmon, which I prefer, this cooking method helps keep the fish moist and yummy.

I'm big on seasonal eating, and try to choose ingredients and put together meals based on what's in season. I think if you wanted to make this with fresh spring peas, you could really make the peas the star of the dish. Or if you have some fantastic fresh salmon in late summer, it'd be even better. Probably the best combo would be fresh-frozen baby spring peas, and fresh summer salmon. But what I also love about this recipe is it's a total pantry meal for us. I made it tonight with frozen salmon filets, frozen organic peas, and fresh parsley (I keep it in the fridge in an herb keeper from Pampered Chef - keeps for weeks!). Everything else comes straight out of the pantry as well, and there you go. Much better - and better for us - than takeout! And in no more time than that would take.

Since the entree is nice and light, if you've been reading this blog for very long, you know I couldn't stop there! I should have, but couldn't... so just for fun, since I tripped over them in the freezer, and they just looked lonesome, I also made some poached pears to go over vanilla ice cream.



I adore poached pears (think bananas foster, only with pears and muscat wine) and I love the combination of warm fruit over cold ice cream (like in cobbler). So since all we had with the salmon was peas, making it a very nearly carb-free dish,** I figured we could afford the calories. And they were sooooo worth it! I'll share that recipe soon as well. Again, the pears are not exactly seasonal, but hey - super super yummy!

Hope you enjoy!

Salmon with Peas in Butter Broth

Skinless salmon filets (proportions given are for two)
1 cup or so frozen peas
1/4 cup diced onion or shallots
2 Tbsp minced parsley
1 cup white wine
1/4 cup chicken broth
Extra virgin olive oil
2 Tbsp butter, cut into four pieces
Salt and pepper

Rinse salmon and pat dry. Rub both sides with olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Lay in single layer of shallow baking dish. Sprinkle evenly with diced onion and parsley, and top with 'flattened' pats of butter. Sprinkle peas (no need to thaw) over top, then pour wine and broth over the top. Cover tightly and bake at 350 for 20 minutes. Turn oven off for last 5 minutes. Remove from heat and allow to sit 5-10 minutes covered. Drizzle filets and peas with sauce and ladle into shallow bowls.

** This recipe is dedicated to my diabetic friend Crowzma, who gently reminded me I've only posted desserts lately :-)

Love, Dahrlin'

7 comments:

Angie said...

Wow, that looks yummy! And (brace yourself) I've never had salmon before. Gasp! I'm trying to branch out. Baby steps. :-)

I've been sitting here babysitting the computer for the last 2 hours while I'm trying to upload 1100+ pics to Shutterfly. I think another 2 hours to go. Yikes! It's going to be a long night.

Angela said...

We're gonna have to fix you some salmon when you come down. I'll be thinking of what might be the most yummy preparation to entice your tastebuds!

Katherine said...

Ok now this dish I have try. It looks delicious and we love salmon! Usually I bake it and serve with sweet potatoes (which are really good with blue cheese dressing by the way). This recipe looks like a good variation. Don't think I can get away with no carbs though. Maybe some ears of corn. Or garlic bread. Yum.....

Angela said...

Katherine - you'll love it! And I don't do low-carb either, but last night I traded most of my carbs for ice cream and poached pears, LOL!

Hugs! Are you guys back in town?

Robin's Reports said...

Yummy and it looks like I could convert it somewhat to fit into our seafood scenario. I'm not much for salmon but could substitute fish. My Mom has a wonderful clam sauce recipe that is similar to this, no peas though.

Michelle said...

Oooo, that looks good. I LOVE salmon, and we usually grill ours on a cedar plank. This one I may have to save for winter though, as I can't bear to have my oven on during the summer except in dire circumstances. Yum yum yum!

Would you laugh if I told you that two posts in a row I read directed me to the Saucy Eats? I figured someone was trying to tell me something, so I obeyed you!

Angela said...

Robin - yes, you could definitely use any fish (or veggie) you like. You guys have such yummy ways of preparing fish, with your wonderful garden produce!

Michelle - RUN to Saucy Eats! You'll love it! And yes, I also try to keep oven use to a minimum during the summer, as ours really heats up the whole kitchen. But then again, it's just so darn easy to put something into the oven and forget about it for a few minutes, that I'm pretty easily talked into it, LOL!

Related Posts with Thumbnails