Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Asian Slaw



Okay, I know it isn't Foodie Friday yet. But while we're on vacation, I'm going to freeze another set of dinner kits, so I've got food positively on the brain. And thought I might share another recipe with you - this is another of my summertime favorites. I first had it at a restaurant that has since (very sadly) closed. But the slaw was so yummy - and I don't even like coleslaw! - that I went digging on the web for a similar recipe. This one is darned close to the original in flavor, and I think you'll like it as much as we do. Great for picnics (no mayo) and for any warm-weather meal. The recipe is basically proportional, so just adjust as needed for your crowd.

Asian Slaw
(Feeds a bunch!)

1 bag coleslaw mix (about a pound or so)
1/2 to 1 square package plain ramen noodles, uncooked
1 cup sliced almonds, toasted
1 cup sunflower kernels (I use the dry roasted ones)
1 bunch green onions, chopped

Crumble the noodles with your fingers and then combine all ingredients in a large bowl. For the dressing, make this to taste. I'm going to tell you how I make it, but adjust to your liking. I like it a little more tart.

1/4 cup brown sugar
3/4 cup vegetable oil
1/2 cup white vinegar (or cider vinegar)

Blend dressing, adjust to taste and toss desired amount with slaw. I never use all (or even most) of the dressing, so don't throw it all in at once. Add a little, stir and then continue to adjust desired quantity.

If we won't be eating all the slaw at once, I dress each serving. That way the ingredients stay crispy and you can enjoy the whole batch over a few days.

Hope you enjoy!

7 comments:

Lora said...

Mmmm...this looks great! I have a very similar recipe and I love to add chicken to it--to make a meal:)
I'm looking forward to hearing more about your freezer meal plans!

Angie said...

This looks interesting. Not really my cup of tea, but you guys enjoy! :-) I'm roasting a chicken tonight and making risotto! Woo hoo!

Melissa Lee said...

FOODIE FRIDAY? What is that? And why I am so perplexed?

Oh, great. More food - that's all I need.

Thanks for coming over and checking me out last week. Enjoyed reading about your time off by the pool. Jealousy is a problem I pray about, often.

Melissa at Stretch Marks

Angela said...

Lora - I like the chicken idea! I love "one dish" meals!

Angie - let me know how it turns out! Be sure to take pics for your blog!

And LOL - Hi Melissa! Thanks for stopping by! Foodie Friday is what I call my (typically Friday) food and recipe series. But lately, food is all I can think/talk about so I'm posting recipe after recipe. Too funny!

Alicia said...

I have a similar recipe that uses broccoli slaw. One key thing is to mix the beef flavoring from the ramen into the dressing. Try that sometime, it adds a good element of flavor.

I like vinegar/tartness too :)

- a fellow "Cook It, Blog It" blogger

Alicia said...

P.S. I LOVE The Bourne Identity book. I have the other two and have failed to read them...I know I must.

Angela said...

Thanks for stopping by, Alicia! I am really enjoying the CookIt, BlogIt group. And thanks for the tip on the dressing for the slaw. I usually avoid things with MSG (which my cheapy ramen noodles usually have :-) but I want to see if I can find some at Whole Foods to try.

And definitely, do read the other two Bourne books. It's one of my all time favorite series!

Related Posts with Thumbnails