Thursday, June 12, 2008

Two steps forward...

…One step back… Par for the course, really, so it’s actually comforting in its own way. If everything was going perfectly, I’d be terrified!

It’s been a busy week around here, as we’ve had my Dad visiting and we’re short staffed this week at work. We’ve also had lots of last-minute items going on with the pool project, and I should have some new photos for you this evening. I have missed blogging and promise to be back on track here soon!

So there's good news and bad news on the pool front. The good news is that our new trees got planted, the fence was installed yesterday, we got rain last night, and they're still working on finishing up the pool today (and on track to finish tomorrow). So far, so good :-)

The bad news is we got 2.25 INCHES of rain in about 3 hours last night. Now please don’t misunderstand me; we definitely need the rain and we’re grateful to get it. But in our area, which usually gets about 4 inches of rain a month at the most, we call that kind of rainfall a gully-washer (or, if your house does not sit on a steep hill like ours, it’s pretty much just called a hundred year flood). As you can see from the most recent photos, most of our formerly landscaped yard is currently comprised of silty, sandy, loosely packed dirt. We lovingly call it the Moonscape. Which, as it turns out, can be combined with water to form a very inexpesive but highly efficient form of, essentially, wet concrete. At least, that is the behavior of the mud that is currently clogging every drain we just laid...and buried under the stone decking.

Apparently the clogged drains and open heavens caused a good deal of minor flooding around the pool deck, and backed up into the under-deck area you may have seen in the earlier photos. When hubby came to bed last night, he pronounced the situation a “catastrophe.” Now, to put this in perspective, you need to know that my husband is the most unflappable soul in the world. NOTHING worries him. Rarely does anything bother or stress him much, and he is one of the most even-keeled people I know. Which is great for someone like me, as I generally have strong feelings on most any issue, be they good or bad. We kind of balance each other. So to hear him use a word I’ve never even heard in his vocabulary was striking. However, I still had to get up to go to work this morning, so I cheerfully assured him it would look better in the morning and said “we gotta get some sleep!” (this would be my strongly optimistic side showing itself, even in the face of an obvious mess)…

I slept, but I don’t know if he did. He may have stared at the ceiling all night, contemplating what it will take to fix this mess…

So this morning I was awakened to hubby, coffee in hand, announcing that he was heading to Lowes to get a suitable shovel (a flat one, like you use for snow). Apparently, the floodwaters have receded, but they have left behind a beautifully crafted layer of silty mud. I don’t think you could intentionally make mud this thick if you tried. It looks like what’s left behind after a storm surge, which I guess is essentially what it is. I checked it out myself this morning and, while I don’t know that I would call it catastrophic, it’s a good-sized mess. The most worrisome issue is how much mud actually got into the drain system, which is buried under the pool deck now. As long as the drains aren’t completely blocked, I think they will eventually clear out (it’s just dirt, after all). But we’ll have to see what happens as we go along.

Hubby did not make it out the door, however, because the Pebbletec guys showed up at 7:30 this morning. This is great news as it’s a day we’ve been waiting for since, oh, February when we decided to do this thing :-) Once the Pebbletec is in, we can fill the pool. But I know the only thing hubby can think about right now is all that mud.

Stay tuned for an update – hopefully this evening! And thanks for watching and reading! We now return you to your regularly scheduled day!

3 comments:

Angie said...

Oh my, when it rains it pours. Ha ha ha. Sorry, that wasn't nice. I hope everything works out with this little mud mess and soon! Hopefully poor Daniel will get some sleep tonight.

Connordog said...

Poor Daniel!! Out there shoveling mud...

Send some of the rain our way. We've gotten NONE, ZERO, ZIP!

Robin's Reports said...

Oh no. You know, you sparked a memory for me. My sister had red clay mud go down the hill right into her brand new pool back when it was built. Get some sod down ASAP.

Take care.

Related Posts with Thumbnails