Wednesday, June 4, 2008

Summer Squash with Lemon Vinaigrette

Happy Wednesday!

I needed a break from the drama and craziness of this week, so I decided to post another recipe for you, even though it’s not Friday yet. Food always exerts a calming influence on me!

This one won’t have step-by-step instructions, because I’d already made it by the time I realized it’s a good candidate for my new recipe series. But I do have a “finished product” photo for you. I hope it looks cool, refreshing and summery to you! It’s a five-minute side dish with lots of healthy ingredients.



We need some cool refreshment around this house today. It’s only June 4 and it’s positively broiling outside (and inside). Some of our family and friends know that we have a little A/C problem in our home. The A/C runs fine; the problem is it runs too much and doesn’t get anywhere. It’s currently 79 in my bedroom and 78 in the upstairs hallway. That probably doesn’t sound too hot to most people, but I am a person who was really meant for cooler climes. I don’t enjoy summer in Georgia; I merely survive it. ;-) I sleep best when it’s about 64-68 in the room, and sleep well only at 72 or below. And last night when I went up to bed at 11:30, it was still a balmy 75 in the bedroom. Sigh. We were hoping not to have to move out of our bedroom again this summer, but that’s another story for another post.

Without further digression, here’s today’s recipe:

Summer Squash Salad with Lemon Vinaigrette


This recipe is super-simple, and is a great use for my favorite Lemon Vinaigrette from Giada. For this photo, I had hoped the “crinkle cut” effect of the squash would be a little more evident. I’m having a hard time getting a good, clearly focused photo of anything up close with our new camera. Hopefully I will get around to actually reading the instructions sometime soon! But anyway, the idea for using the vinaigrette over the squash came to me from a Quick Cooking magazine recipe we (or rather, I) love. (Hubby assiduously avoids raw vegetables, other than iceberg lettuce.) The QC recipe calls for thinly sliced squash rounds, arranged in a pretty spiral on a plate and then topped with dressing. I have made the salad that way before for parties, but found that the veggies become soggy after a day or so. Since we eat a lot of leftovers in this house, I try to apply dressings one serving at a time. For everyday preparation, I’ve been cutting the squash into half rounds with my Pampered Chef Crinkle Cutter, which makes very cute and surprisingly easy slices. (Don’t you just love all these endorsements for products, and people, for which I’m not getting paid? LOL!)

I keep the squash in a covered container in the fridge and mix up the dressing for storage in the fridge, too. Then I combine as I go. I use a Magic Bullet (er…here I’m trying to convince myself not to rave about another kitchen product, but ...okay, I failed ...seriously, it will change your life!) But you could use anything you prefer, and a glass jar with a lid is perfect. Just put the lid on tightly, and then shake until your teeth rattle. (Just don’t do what I have done, and let the jar go flying out of your hands while you’re shaking… I’m sure you can imagine how bad that would be. You really don’t need to try it yourself to find out ...just take my word for it and keep a firm grip on that jar.)

Dressing ingredients (makes about 2/3 cup):

2 tsp grated lemon zest
¼ cup fresh lemon juice
¼ cup chopped parsley leaves (save a bit for garnish)
1-2 garlic cloves, minced (to taste)
salt and pepper to taste
1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil

Blend all ingredients in a blender, or shake well in a jar. Season to taste. Flavors will blend over time, so make ahead if you can. Refrigerate until needed. Re-blend just before adding to the veggies, to ensure dressing hasn’t separated. Pour desired quantity over veggies, garnish with chopped parsley and serve!

14 comments:

~*Paty*~ said...

I so want a magic bullet. I see it on TV all of the time but not sure if I should buy it. Don't worry about raving to much about kitchen gadgets. I do it too much on my blog. I think
QVC

needs to start compensating me because most of my gadgets come from there.

Veronica said...

Stopping by from Sits...I have to tell you I am so glad to hear you looove the Magic Bullet! I blogged about it too! For making vinaigrettes you just cannot beat it (I think). End of infomerical;)!

Kimberly said...

Sounds yummy! We have tons of fresh summer squash in our garden right about now...I'm really into this idea! I love your blog...I think I'll be back!

Tina said...

Stopping by from Sits. I love squash and i have a ton of it. I cant wait to make your recipe it sounds delish.

Stephanie said...

What a great recipe! It's wonderful to have a variety of recipes to use up a garden surplus, which I'm hoping for this year!

LaQuintamomof3 said...

I might try this tonight! Thanks

Angela said...

Hi to all my new SITS friends! Thanks so much for coming by today!

Paty - you will LOVE the magic bullet. I have no vested interest in the company, I promise. But it is one of the few products of its kind that works exactly like they say it will. I keep finding new uses for it!

Veronica - yep, for any kind of dressing, I just love my bullet. The other day, I made lime butter in it. It was a perfect consistency, and refrigerated without separating. Go Bullet!! LOL!

Kimberly - so happy you stopped by! Please come back any time!

Tina, Stephanie and LaQuinta - I think you would love the recipe! I found it to be a great way to put a new flavor spin on summer squash. Hope you love it!

Tiffany said...

Such a great side dish. Looks delish and seems pretty easy, which is what I need!

Apple Joos said...

I absolutely love your little star dish!

Angela said...

Thanks Tiffany - and sides don't get much easier than this one. Hope you like it!

Hi Apple! Look for those little ramekins at TJ Maxx. They go oven/dishwasher/freezer and they're great!

Rhea said...

Magic Bullet sounds cool.

I love anything with lemon or orange zest.

Mrs. Tantrum said...

THANK YOU!! This sounds fantastic for getting me out of my squash rut. Those SITS gals were right...you are one hot cookin mama!! I can't wait to check out more of your delicious dishes!!

Angela said...

Thanks Tantrum! Please let me know if you guys enjoy the dish. I'd love to hear feedback from anyone who tries it. Happy Wendesday and thanks for commenting!

angie said...

I love this because it looks totally delicious, but also healthy and refreshing for the summer.

Related Posts with Thumbnails