Saturday, June 14, 2008

Music and Memory Lane

And now for a completely different subject (I can hear you all breathing a collective sigh of relief, all the way from here!)

My best friend's recent trips down memory lane have caused me to break out some old favorites on iTunes. When I say "old," I'm going to date myself here. But one song I tripped over this week brought back an absolute wealth of memories. I think it was triggered by my friend's mentions of the camp we went to the summer between 8th and 9th grade. It was our church's camp, and we had a blast that summer. But for some reason, the anthem of that summer (more than any other song) was, for me anyway, an old favorite by the Dream Academy: Life in a Northern Town. It's always been a favorite of mine, but it recalls that summer like no other single song. I just finished replaying it about six times and MAN, does that throw me back into 8th grade! It's truly amazing how a certain song can just immediately transport you. Coupled with my friend's recent reminiscences, I'm living in a veritable 1989 time warp here!

But anyway, this is going to be an interactive post :-) What about you? I'd love to hear your stories. What song, no matter where you are or what you're doing when you hear it, just throws you back in time whenever you hear it? Reminds you of a certain person, place or time in your life? Doesn't have to be high school. Let's hear 'em! If we get some good responses, I'll try to compile them into a playlist for you.

(and yes, I can still hear the water running outside, over the sound of all these great songs!)

LOL! Have fun with it!

1 comment:

Angie said...

There are 2 songs in particular that send me down old memory lane. The first is "Pour Some Sugar on Me", which reminds me of the summer that I worked at CVP and everything that happened. I wore that cd out that summer. The other is "Everything I Do" from Robin Hood. Of course, it reminds of the watching the movie a zillion times, but that was a song that had special meaning between "Eric" & I. That will be coming up in an installment of my HSH series. Ha ha!

Related Posts with Thumbnails