Friday, June 27, 2008

Foodie Friday!



For this week's foodie post, I'm going to share one of my favorite summertime recipes. It's light in taste and light for your waist, and it's a yummy meal that even my husband likes. This is another Giada recipe, and I've made it several times. It's going on my menu plan for next week, so I thought I'd share it. You could use an indoor grill pan, or do the fish on the outdoor grill. The broth is quick and easy to make. I think you'll enjoy it during these warmer summer days!

Halibut in Artichoke and Tomato Broth
Adapted from Giada de Laurentiis

4 Halibut (or other whitefish) filets
2 shallots (or 1/4 medium sweet onion), thinly sliced
4 Tbsps Olive Oil, divided
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 box frozen artichoke hearts
1/2 cup white wine (or equal chicken broth)
1.5 cups low-sodium chicken broth
1 (14 oz) can diced tomatoes
1/2 tsp minced fresh thyme leaves (or dried)

Heat grill or grill pan over medium-high heat. Rub both sides of fish with 2 Tbsp of the olive oil, and season with salt and pepper.

Rinse artichokes under water for a moment to thaw. In a medium saucepan or skillet, heat the remaining oil over medium high heat. Add the shallots/onions and cook for a few minutes, until they begin to soften. Add the garlic and artichokes, sauteeing for several minutes until lightly browned. Add the wine and stir to remove any browned bits from the pan. Add broth, tomatoes (undrained), and thyme. Salt and pepper to tasted, and simmer until flavors are blended (just a few minutes).

While the broth cooks, grill your fish until done. Partially fill bowls with broth and artichoke sauce, top with grilled fish and serve!

(Sometimes I'll serve buttery garlic toast with this. And sometimes I make it with salmon. Shhhhhhh!!)



Happy Friday, and hope you enjoy!

Love, Dahrlin'

7 comments:

Angie said...

Oh, that sounds yummy! I don't think I've ever had halibut before, so this will be a great reason to try it!

Knatolee said...

I love Giada's recipes. This one looks great, and I love halibut. The best halibut I ever had was, not surprisingly, in Alaska.

Angela said...

Angie - try the halibut, you'll love it! Or any white fish you like. I also use cod or haddock, which are very mild too.

Knat - yes, I am a huge Giada fan! Hope you enjoy! It'll bring a taste of summer to the (usually) frozen great white north, LOL!

(PS Now that I know you're just around the corner from my cousins, I'm going to have to schedule another visit up there!)

Veggie Mom said...

Hi! I'm new to the Blogosphere, and I found your site thru another link. Interesting stuff here! I'm running a giveaway, and I'd love it if you'd stop by. http://poprs.blogspot.com/2008/06/giveaway-tuesday.html Drop in any time! :)

Angela said...

Thanks for stopping by, VeggieMom! I will definitely check out your giveaway!

Michelle said...

Oooo, this one sounds good! And I have just about everything stocked in my pantry already :) One question though -- why frozen artichoke vs jarred (and drained/rinsed)? I've always got the jarred on hand for salads and my homemade pizzas, but not so much on the frozen side....

Angela said...

Hi Michelle!

The frozen artichokes have a different texture; more like fresh than the jarred variety. But if you wanted to try using jarred, I'd just stir them into the sauce as you are finishing it. They wouldn't really need to cook. Hope that helps!

And yes, it's definitely yummy! Hope you enjoy!

Related Posts with Thumbnails