Sunday, June 8, 2008

Eggstraordinary

(I've GOT to work on these titles. Even I'm embarrased by that one.)

It's been a busy weekend already, and it's almost over. Wow. Lots of things going on around here the last couple days, but in the meantime, I did manage to make a new recipe that we'll be adding to our collection! And y'all know that makes me happy!

First, a disclaimer: I have always hated Deviled Eggs. The very phrase gives me goosebumps, and not the good kind. Now, to really appreciate my aversion, you have to know that I'm pretty sure, before yesterday, I'd never actually eaten any. This aversion of mine was purely instinctive, coming from the knee-jerk, fight-or-flight, primitive part of my brain. The same part that hates creepy noises at night and roaches... the part that will keep you alive, if you only listen to it!

I love eggs generally, and I like the other classic picnic foods as much as anyone. But I just never could wrap my head around the idea of eating half of an egg, for crying out loud, a food known for its extreme perishability, from which someone had removed and remixed the filling, let it sit around a while, and then transported the invariably mayonnaise-filled creation, usually during the hottest time of year, under conditions unknowable to the eventual consumer. Thank you, but no. And positively NOTHING scares me more in a deli case or on a buffet. Shudders...

But typically, I am the more adventurous diner in our kitchen. Hubby's favorite foods don't stray very far from the White and Beige Food Group. This group includes things like instant white rice, instant mashed potatoes (which he considers a vegetable), pop tarts, easy mac, white bread and anything fried. I am usually the one trying to persuade him to try something new, taste a different flavor, eat an actual green vegetable, and live a little.

So yesterday, hubby and I were sitting around the kitchen with my Dad (who's visiting for a few days). We were having some nice drinks and needed some appetizer-type food to snack on. I just received my 10 free Tastebook recipe cards in the mail yesterday, and hubby was leafing through them. I could tell where he was heading, and was looking forward to preparing something yummy. Until. Until he came up with the dreaded Deviled Egg recipe card. Instantly, I was hurled back in my mind to a private viewing of every nasty-looking, unrefrigerated and way-too-warm, been-sitting-out-in-the-sun Deviled Egg presentation I've seen in my lifetime; a veritable Rocky Horror Picture Show of grotesque food. Another shudder ensued.

But then I started looking at the ingredients, and thought, hmm. This doesn't sound bad taste-wise. And since I will know exactly how they've been prepared and refrigerated, maybe they would actually be kind of good (I wasn't feeling particularly adventurous; I was mostly just starving. Which just goes to show, beggars can't be choosers!)

So, with some trepidation (and promising that, at most, I would only eat one half an egg) we set out to make the recipe below. I put hubby in charge of boiling the eggs, since he does this all the time for tuna fish salad. He did his part with about the same intense dedication he displays for all assigned kitchen tasks, which is to say he put the eggs on the stove and forgot about them. But, since I've been the beneficiary of his wonderful assistance for some years now, I rescued them in time :0)

The filling is very easy to make and I did not bother to do anything decorative to pipe it into the eggs. I just spooned it in and served 'em up. But I have to say, they were actually delicious. I was very pleasantly surprised. I ate four egg halves - and I enjoyed them! I would even make them again! I apologize that I didn't take pictures. I had two hungry men waiting for food and I was starving myself. Next time I promise I'll take pics and update the entry then.

(But I still don't think I'll become a fan of traveling deviled eggs...no offense to my fellow cooks. It's the whole warm mayonnaise and egg thing...please don't take it personally!)

So without further ado, here ya go. Try 'em! You'll like 'em!

Horseradish Deviled Eggs

Makes 24 egg halves

1 dozen large eggs
6 Tbsp mayo (real mayo only!)
3 Tbsp prepared horseradish (or to taste)
2 Tbsp juice** from jar of sweet pickles (I used sweet relish)
1 tsp freshly ground black pepper
1/4 tsp salt
Minced fresh parsley (optional, for garnish)
Paprika (optional, for garnish)

Bring eggs to a boil, turn off heat and let sit (covered) for 10 minutes. Place eggs in ice water for about half an hour to cool completely. Peel.

Halve eggs lengthwise. Place all filling ingredients (and eggs yolks) in food processor or blender; blend until smooth. Taste and adjust seasonings as desired. Fill each egg half (you can pipe the filling in if you want to get all fancy) and top with parsley and/or paprika, as desired.

Make twice as many as you think you'll need. Even people who think they hate deviled eggs will like these!

**update: after making this one several times, I have learned two things - first, it makes awesome egg salad if you aren't feeling up to fussing with deviling the eggs. Two, go ahead and use the actual relish, including the juice - especially for egg salad. It's super!

6 comments:

Angie said...

Hilarious title! And I have NEVER tried a devil egg. The sight of them makes my stomach turn. However, I might try your recipe. But only because you don't normally lead me astray. Ha ha!

Angela said...

Thanks baby! You know I wouldn't steer you wrong. At least not when it comes to food. Boys, maybe. Fashion, probably. Sneaking out of the house, certainly. But not food! These were yummy and husband-approved!

Robin's Reports said...

My boys love deviled eggs any day of the week. I guess this is why I'm raising chickens in a subdivision in FL. LOL. It's pretty much egg salad in an egg white. My recipe is similar minus the horseradish.

Btw, I rarely ate them until I became Baptist and now they're at every single church social! :o) You make a great point about them being possible poison bombs.

Angela said...

Hi Robin!

Try this recipe for you and Jack. The boys might even like it. The horseradish isn't that hot and you could do just a little. But you're right about the egg salad part. I never thought of it that way!

Katherine said...

Ok now this I have to try! Love the horseradish. Love the whole deviled egg thing. I'm from the south - this is picnic, church social and family reunion standard fare. And I inherited my grandmother's cut glass deviled egg dish.

Angela said...

You'll love 'em! And thanks for commenting! We'll have you sucked into bloggerland in no time, LOL!

Related Posts with Thumbnails