Friday, May 16, 2008

Foodie Friday!

Another workweek has passed, bringing me (in blog-time, anyway) back around to my favorite subject.

For today I will share one favorite recipe with you, and it is a great candidate for weeknights and for the freeze-before-cooking rotation. I tried freezing it during Freeze Fest 1 and it worked great! My husband has even made this one all by himself, and declares it great guy food. My favorite part is it's just so comforting. If you have ever had goulash or if you have a favorite "hamburger mac and cheese" recipe, this is similar. But it is my favorite preparation for that type of dish. Super yummy, and super easy!

Hamburger Mac and Cheese Toss
(from Cooking Light, August 2004)
(Serves 4)

1 - 1.5 cups elbow macaroni
1 pound ground beef
1 medium yellow onion, chopped
2-3 cloves garlic, minced
2 Tbsp tomato sauce (or paste)
1.5 tsp chili powder
1 tsp paprika
1 tsp oregano
1 (14 oz) can diced tomatoes with green pepper and onions (undrained)
1 cup shredded cheddar cheese, plus extra for topping
Freshly ground pepper to taste
Olive oil for sauteeing

To make this truly one-pot, cook the macaroni first in a large dutch oven. Drain and set aside. In same pan, brown beef in a bit of olive oil; remove and drain beef. Add onion and garlic to pan with a bit more oil, saute until golden. Stir in tomato paste, chili powder, paprika, oregano and tomatoes; cook until slightly thickened. Turn off heat, stir in pasta, beef and cheese, let cheese melt and serve!

(Leftovers are even better the next day; reheat with a bit of water)

I also completed a food-related project today that puts a smile on my face. For a while now, my cookbook nook (blessedly placed in my kitchen by the builder) has been pretty much a mess. I tend to drag lots of cookbooks with me wherever I go, using an endless assortment of shredded pieces of sticky notes to mark recipes that I will forget entirely as soon as I pick up the next book or magazine really mean to try soon. When hubby starts yelling I become frustrated with the piles of cookbooks lying around the house, I tend to shove them willy-nilly back onto the shelves, creating a disorganized mess that's clearly visible from all angles of our kitchen and den. So, inspired by the decluttering exploits of my dear friend, but not feeling wholeheartedly up to a real round of decluttering today, I decided to take on the smaller project of the bookshelves. I forgot to take a before picture (probably better that way), but here are the results. Wahoo!

5 comments:

Connordog said...

I love this recipe! It's so easy to do. Doug's not a fan, but he'll have to endure it till he starts cooking!!

Robin's Reports said...

I can't wait to see your kitchen and eat your food! I'm so excited. 1 more week to go!

Angie said...

Ok, I'm definitely going to try this recipe Thanks so much for sharing! And the bookshelf project is great. I'm really proud of you!

jmk said...

Have you used any of her Five from the Freezer packages? I just did some of the chicken and heart healthy recipes this weekend. I have never used her stuff before.

What are some of your favorites?

Angela said...

Hi Janyne!

I have not used the "five from the freezer" kits, but I suspect she's probably using some of the same recipes as are contained in the regular mega-menu-mailers. Some of our favorites so far (including hubby's raves) are the Lemon Chicken Scallopine, the Stuffed Chicken Brsts, the Caribbean Steak and the Honey Apple Pork (I use pork tenderloin for that one). But we really haven't had any bad recipes from Leanne - just some we preferred over others. I think by and large her recipes are awesome! Hope you enjoy!

Related Posts with Thumbnails