Saturday, April 19, 2008

More Mealtime Success

I figured I would give everyone a break on the pool news and talk about something else for a change :-) We've been trying out the "freezer meals" idea, kind of like what those national franchises offer but without all the added expense. Working primarily off of menu ideas from the Dinner Diva, I have also incorporated a few of our own favorites that I think/have found work well for the concept. You essentially spend a few hours preparing a group of meals ahead, but don't cook them, which means you get fresh-cooked meals when you're ready to eat them. To me that's much yummier than reheating already cooked and then frozen food. So far it's working quite well and hubby has given three or four of the recipes a "favorite" rating. And there is a surprising variety of things you can freeze that then cook quite well. I was pleasantly surprised at some of the options on the menu I linked above.

So anyway, I'm hoping to put a few more in the freezer today. I have really enjoyed the convenience, as well as knowing what's in the food we're eating. It takes about 1/2 an hour from beginning to table, and that's perfect for us on weeknights. But we're getting home cooked, well-balanced meals (with vegetables! Heavens!) and I have healthy leftovers to take for lunch. So far, I think we've saved a ton of money in just two weeks, based on no wasted food and bringing lunch from home. I love it!

1 comment:

Angie said...

I'm so impressed!! I really need to start doing this because our eating out habit (for dinner mostly) has spiraled out of control. Keep up the great work girlfriend!

Related Posts with Thumbnails