Friday, April 25, 2008

Foodie Friday

(Subtitle: Desperately-Seeking-Dinner!)

Happy Friday!

I thought I would share something besides pool pictures for a change. In keeping with one of my other loves (that being food of all kinds!) I am planning to start sharing a recipe or something food-related each Friday. Or at least most Fridays!

I recently received one of those recipe exchange emails where you are supposed to send a "quick and easy" recipe to the person at the top of the list, like a chain letter. The idea is that they will get several recipes and your name moves up on the list. Well (probably because a lot of people are like me and break the chain), it never seems to work for me. But I liked the idea of the recipe request - an easy, well-loved recipe with only a few ingredients, and one that is a family favorite. Preferably one you know by heart and can type out right then and there. That last part struck me as important. The best recipes are the ones we know by heart and which are our "go-to" meals when time is short and tummies are growling. Those tend to be the best recipes I make, and I realized that I do have several I can share. One of our favorites has fewer than five ingredients (in the main dish) and I will post the link below. I'm not sure if I can post the actual recipe (I know, I KNOW...it's the lawyer in me) but you should be able to follow the link. Let me know if not.

This is a favorite Rachael Ray recipe. Some people hate the woman, and others like me love her and wish we had even half her creativity in the kitchen. She just makes yummy food (prepared from fresh ingredients, no less) seem so darned accessible. So the link is for Parmesan Crusted Chicken and I promise you, it's one of the easiest and tastiest recipes I have ever made. Hubby gives it two thumbs up and cleans his plate every time. SO yummy. I also usually make the roasted potato side dish she recommends in the recipe, but you could make anything you want. And I keep Giada de Laurentiis's marinara sauce in my freezer ALWAYS. It's perfect with the chicken (or anything else you can think of to eat with red sauce). That saves me making the sauce that Rachel recommends.

As far as recipe notes for cooking, there aren't a lot of inherent pitfalls in this recipe. The only thing to watch (besides being sure to use shredded, not grated cheese) is that the pan needs to be hot enough - but not so hot that it burns the cheese - (about medium-high) and once the chicken is in there, don't move it around for at least several minutes. I'm not kidding. Don't touch it, don't shake the pan, just leave it!! I use a silicone spatula to gently lift a corner and check on the cheese, but that is it. When it's time to flip them they'll release pretty easily (may need that spatula) and you'll have a beautiful (and exquisitely yummy) cheesy brown crust on your chicken. And - bonus feature - it keeps the chicken very moist. I like to add fresh basil over the top as it's a nice complement to the tomato sauce.

Bon Appetit!

4 comments:

Angie said...

I'm loving the new Foodie Friday! And that recipe sounds awesome. Thanks for sharing and I'll definitely be trying this one out!

Angela said...

Thanks! I think you'll like the recipe and the kids would probably love it. It tastes kind of "fried," only better. And it's not fried so you don't have to feel bad about serving it! If the cheese starts to stick when you try to move it, leave it alone a minute longer or use a spatula to gently unstick it. Oh, and that marinara is the best I've found, and much less expensive than store bought :-))

Robin's Reports said...

We'll have to pass on Rachael's recipe with all the cheese but I'm going to steal Giada's marinara sauce. I can probably make a bunch of it (if I had energy) tonight.

I like Rachael but I've made a couple of her dishes that nobody wanted to eat.

Pool looks great!!

Angela said...

Thanks Robin! You will love Giada's marinara; it's the best I've ever tasted. And all good-for-you ingredients.

You might want to try the parmesan crusted chicken - it's not gooey-cheesy or anything. It actually makes a light crust (not that much sticks to the chicken) and is indescribably yummy. Just a thought!

Hugs to you and the gang!

Related Posts with Thumbnails